is Car Gurus management performing perfomance evaluations?

Asked by Feb 13, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Recently, I got a private email from a customer who wanted help setting his timing on a twin-cam miatta. Private- as if I carried some authority on how this is done.  Shootin' from the hip I described what needed to be done including a mechanics trick of using a center punch to hold the position of each cam. I guess if I hadn't served time with the mechanic duties would never be able to carry this to completion.  Felt like it was maybe one of the guys who decides that it deserves twenty points, but honestly I thought this was a real guy doin his own work....whew, that was a toughie, with nothing to look 'pon for the procedure and pulling it out of the troposphere for the guy~ kinda afraid to chase that guy's post, but time will tell if this was just the TOP brass performing unscheduled perfomance evaluations.

210,335

I'm sure it wasn't Car Gurus, I got a few emails myself. But like ya said all we can do is try to help and give it out best shot. It is free advise and treated as such.

325

To answer your question, CarGurus set up the "Questions" component of the site to give users a resource for mechanical, shopping+pricing, customization, and general questions. I think you'll find that advice ranges from great to not-so-great. The knowledge-base that regularly contributes to this section consists of everyone from ex-mechanics to backyard wrenchers. Basically, it is a platform for ALL to exchange auto knowledge -- CarGurus doesn't verify mechanical skill level with anyone.

Best Answer

Well, we do have GURU's that are focused on one make or model. I'm thinking do we not have a miatta GURU that could help him what knew exactly what he's got, rather than makin' a guy sweat as he tries to envision what he's got. The fact that it is a MIatta....the gaydar is enabled, but seems to have been the case in the past, that doesn't matter at all, but these cars have like this tiny..like 2215 filter that's hard to get to---wish they had their thinking caps on. A 1-A oil filter is big enough and can be found ANYWHERE!, should have been more accessible to the driver rather than making it intentionally exclusive, and fouls up sooner than it should (because it is too small to do it's job, effectively) That's all I can remember about the miatta, crampt engine, difficult simple procedures and homosexual owner- NOT much of an authority. This guy sounded kinda hip, and almost had the job done, but he could have chosen an authority on these rather than this guy here-

It all panned out as expected, pride on being able to solve any make and model, but lately technology seems to have made this guessing game much more difficult, as non-intuitive systems rear their ugly heads. oh well live and learn. You guys are awesome for lettin' this X-Milwaukee boy (who is used to dealing with rust-beauties) now here in California (since 1988) wen't HOG wild at first with the beautiful old cars, and wanted to buy ALL of them-