I have a 72 beetle and the engine has been redone and has a alternator and the car won't charge, put a new battery in it, put a meter on the alternator and it has the right volts, the battery has volts, if anyone has any thoughts please let me know

Asked by Feb 12, 2013 at 10:56 PM

21,095

your 1/2 way there, the field has to be excited .does this have a voltage regulator.,if so the points inside it ned cleand

100,055

When the engine is running, do the volts at the battery match the volts at the alternator? If not, there is a fusible link on the starter end of the wire from the alternator to the starter. If there was a large short circuit, it melts to protect the alternator.

Ok I will check it out but from what I remember the volts were the same