Hi, my 05 kia rio wont start, when it was running it would die when on a stand still. No check en. Light on, fuel pump is fine and turns over o.k. please help, thanks

Asked by Feb 07, 2013 at 04:22 PM

4,755

Do you have spark? I'd expect it to fire if you have the big three: air, fuel and a source of ingnition.

Yes, thanks , maybe not bright enough? Its got fuel pressure

4,755

Does it try to start at all or is it just cranking with no go at all?

Thanks for your help! It might try every not so often but fails to start before the battery dies. I now have it on a charger. How much fuel pressure should it have?

65

Take it to the dealership. Yes, it may be expensive, but they are the experts that know what they are doing. Also, the dealership may charge to put it on the machine, but if you agree to have it fixed there, the diagnostics fee normally goes toward the final bill.

Thank you sir, but im struggling as it is or I would have done that. Do you work at a dealership? (Kidding)

89,705

Turn the key on and listen for the fuel pump. It should run for a couple of seconds to prime the system. I does have gas in the tank, right? Try some starting fluid to see if you have spark. ---- You could have a vacuum leak making the mixture lean. That might cause it to stall at idle.

40-60 psi for fuel injected 15-20 psi for old style-

we can work this out without the help of the money suction affidianados~

65

No, I'm not a mechanic nor do I work at a dealership. Maybe you can look up a local licensed and reputable mechanic that will be willing to work with you on payments.

We've got fuel, presumably a nice 40-60 psi stream. Spark, and timing of that spark is next, unless we should do a compression test (if they can?)~

We don't get paid anything are just here to share with you whatever may help you. I know everybody's poor right now my account is at minus 2700, but we can try to steer you back on the road...with a smile, if we're doing it right!

How are your battery connections? all corroded up? this may have stopped you dead in your tracks. Garden Hose and wire brush. If you want to un-do the bolts and clean out the corrosion, what I'm thinking is since this battery is dead, and perhaps the system digs into this reserve (I know the MO Of Kia) to keep 'er runnin, this reserve went away when the battery went weak for lack of a solid connection...are you with me?

...so charge it up STRONG. and turn the key. I becha dollars to doughnuts this will fix 'er.

18,485

get some seafoam 8 dollars, start fluid 2 dollars and charge bat up find a place to emit some start fluid in filter box or air horn [carburetter],hold pedel to the metal emit 2 short shots ,crank,fire up ease off peddle,hold to stay running,now feed some seafome in a few revs to draw cleaner in ,hope it cleans up the I. A. C.

18,485

go lite on the start fluid two shots, youll need an accomplice select carefully

Think they're not clean jimmy?

Thanks guys, Ill try that in the AM.

you are leavin the charger on all nite then, right...god bless- sleep tite-