I have a 1997 Oldsmobile Achieva with a 2.4 twin cam engine. 1 night when I got home my car was running fine, I turned it off and the next morning I came out to start it and it started and it ran really rough and then immediately died. I have established that I am getting spark and fuel, however I believe it is getting too much fuel as it is washing out my plugs with fuel. I have performed a compression test and am getting about 180 on all 4 cylinders and have even replaced all plugs. It will sometime start for a few seconds run rough and then die and then proceed to foul my plugs again. Could I be off a tooth or 2 on my timing chain, or could this simply be a sensor ? If it is which 1 could it be?????? Any ideas? Signed,---- Desperate!

75

Asked by Feb 02, 2013 at 12:09 AM

75

This happened SUDDENLY so I'm leaning towards electrical-?????? But just don't know !!

102,195

It could be several things. Any check engine light? Maybe a bad injector making the others run rich. Throttle position sensor? Idle air? Go to GAOwnersClub.com and ask the owners of the 2.4L's what they have experienced.

75

Thanks!!!

75

Yes I have "CHECK ENGINE" lite on sometimes - I checked that out about 8 most ago and it said something bout EGR but has never ran rough and other than an Alternator and starter, it has been a great car.

21,665

timing belt or chain i woulden't think you would have such good compression,though thats when they jump .as for a sensor maby map sensor is shorted, .

75

That's on my to-check list as well as the ambient air temperature sensor in the intake duct which I think has something to do with "spark timing" --you think it would at least start though huh?

21,665

theirs a jell to test for water in gasoline,the foulout may be water, unplug a sensor and lift a bat, cable off to reset the ecm, reconnect now the car will relie on preset perimeters in ecm, maby???

2,200

these engine are bad about the coil shell going bad, its under sheild on top of engine, remove it and you will see long plastic housing on shield you removed, they are bad about burning into inside shell, you have 2 coil mounted in shell, you can get a new shell at parts store for about $60.00, let me know if this helps, i have worked on a lot of these engines over the years

Best Answer Mark helpful
75

I found out it was the COIL SHELL!!! It was only hitting on 2 cyls...THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP:)

Help me find where is memory computer top or under?