I have a 1987 dodge ram d100 with a 5.2 with a two barrel would I be better off keeping the 5.2 and put a intake and a four barrel or swap it for a 5.9 I want over all power so what will come out with more power

Asked by Jan 29, 2013 at 02:00 PM

Is it REALLY what you want to do? That 5.2 puts out 230 hp with torque, 300ft/lbs. A four barrel ..sure you will get a bit more power but your gas mileage will be shot to hell and the 5.9 will give you 269hp. You are going to spend a fortune and get 39 more hp

What if I was to pull all of it out and put a fuel injected 5.9 would it be worth the work

Ya know Sixgun, THAT is purely a personal preference. The 5.9L or the 5.9L Cummins diesel sure, will give you more power, but worth it? Again, only you can decide that. Personally I would not..but I don't have a lot of money, if you do then knock yerself out and go for it. It's gonna cost ya, but if you have the money, and want it, then do it. Life's too short to not have what we want, go for it

Your idea about an Edelbrock intake or the like, and a 4bbl, is a good option. If you live in Calif however, don't, you will never pass smog

915

well if ur just putting on an intake, that wont add much, but if ur talking an intake manifold u can get much more with a dual plane manifold and a higher cfm 4bbl carb....ive seen cars get 75 horse out of that( maybe some headers too)...more air an fuel = big numbers

Right on CJ. But it has a 2bbl now, and going to at least a 600cfm minimum 4bbl, and dual plane is a real good idea, a high rise if there is room

915

^a high rise would be good, but i dont think necessary, they work very well on newer cars that rev higher, but on an 87 it wont rev past 5,500 (maybe less not sure about the engine) and the higher plane wont pull too much until 3,000 and will give u more air up to 6,500 ....for streetability i'd stick with a low/med rise to get the extra pull from idle all the way up to 5,500

230bhp @4,400rpm I don't think it will hold together at 5,500

915

thats what im saying, so i'd go with the low rise dual plane, to get air from idle up to the cars 4,400 or so redline, rather than a high rise which wouldnt start getting u more noticeable hp till 3,000rpm or so

That's if you can find the correct carb. 1987 is the only year that Dodge did the carb that was both carburetor and injection