Does anyone know how to locate prior owners of my car...there was work done on it and I'd like to find some information about the woek-thanks Bill

Asked by Jan 25, 2013 at 07:36 PM

89,685

You might be able to see what major work was done by using one of the car fax type services. I don't think, due to the privacy rules, that you can find the names of past owners.

thanks Mark--i thought privacy does enter into it ive heard--Bill

24,085

I just bought a used Mitsu and the Salesperson @ the Dealer said they actually shred ALL service records that the previous owner had, if they are in the glove box. He stated it was for privacy reasons, so that the NEXT owner can't harass or contact an owner to inquire about the car. Also, since service records have name/address/phone#, some devious person could use this personal info. for other reasons. However, you can use CarFax...find some info on work done, find Dealers where work was done and they will look up service records on their PC and should more than likely be happy to share that with you! Dealers make MORE $$$ in service vs. sales, so that dealer wants to keep bringing the car there, as the previous owner did. If the previous owner did any aftermarket installs, you wont be able to track that down though.

Thanks for the INFO --I do appreciate it- Bill