What are the signs of colapsed lifters.

1,775

Asked by Jan 22, 2013 at 11:53 PM

2000 S-10 with a V 6 212,000 miles had to replace the heads .New plugs wires but, reused same push rods (returned to same location)and lifters.
Not storing any codes but when cold it "tick tick tick " until it warms up to water of 180 F. Oil pressure is 45 when cold and 30 psi when warmed up.
Any thoughts please reply.
Does not leak or burn ANY oil.Reason for head replacement  Thermostat stuck when wife was driving blew head gasket. .

35

When the plunger inside of a lifter fails, it'll fail to maintain oil pressure and will remain in a collapsed state at all times. When that happens, the lifter will fail to take up lash in the system, which causes parts inside to hammer against each other during initial contact. This hammering manifests as a very noticeable tapping that increases in volume and frequency with engine rpm. A bad lifter will throw off the affected cylinder's ability to move and burn air and fuel, which will typically lead to spark plug fouling and a consistent miss on that cylinder.

Best Answer
1,775

Thanks KelviaD that's what I was thinking. Now to get the new lifters and tear it down on a nice weekend.Should have replaced them with the heads.

98,125

I would try some top oil, Seafoam, Marvel mystery oil, etc. to free up the lifters before taking it all apart.

1,775

If it is not holding oil pressure would a thicker oil be helpful? Also when it warms up the "tapping "gets quieter. As the metal expands with the engine temp. .Bottom line they will need to be replaced.