2002 VW cabrio, a/t.

Asked by Jan 21, 2013 at 07:32 AM

I have a 2002 VW Cabrio....this car has been having probs of late, lots of changing of parts. Now when i turn the key to start car, nothing. Plenty of battery, wipers all work fine, lights, etc. The starter is new as well. Since this has happened it did start once, I was moving the shifter from P to D to R and up and down then it started. Since then, nothing. I think its the ignition switch or possibly is there a neutral safety in the shifting linkage?

From what you describe, the way it started when you moved the shifter, that looks like it may be the problem. Try just starting in neutral instead if Park Although you have lights, that does not prove the battery is good, has enough cold cranking amperage to start the car. Have it checked. Then if you have a spare key, try that, another key. It is remotely possible that the transponder in the key has a fault, but actually that is a longshot. I am thinking more about the shifter

We only have one key. As far as the shifter, I remember it being in the shop before and the mech saying the neutral safety was jacking up, so he adjusted it or something. Now its in the same shop, a starter later, and its doing the same, this time its the ignition switch they say....(forgot to mention that in my lead in post)....

Ok we are getting somewhere. If your mechanic said neutral safety switch is "jacked up" I suppose that could be colloquialism for faulty. I would go to another mechanic. From what you describe this guy is either a rookie or simply incompetent, I hope the starter money was not a waste. As far as the ignition switch, that is a catch all for when they have no clue

I strongly recommend you have another key made. Yeah, I know, easy for me to say if it has a transponder chip and is 150 bucks. And back to the ignition switch, a good mechanic can tell, does not have to guess

Ahh, ok. Yea I know the key is chipped. Would it be cheaper to buy a new ignition key switch assy? Yea the starter was very expensive.

The problem with a new ignition switch is you will have to carry around one more key, or change the locks also, and that gets expensive. The ignition switch itself is not too expensive, $10 to $20...$60 at dealer. the real cost is labor

Gotcha, but I can change out the assy myself I would say. I would be doing more of the work myself but its a secondary car and I am so dang busy. I've done enough work on it myself...sometimes I can' t get to it.....is it a difficult task to change out the assy?

Ya got me on that..never did it. But I have a feeling it's not all that bad to do

its a valid point about keys for ign and for locks...hey, what messes up on the key to block it from starting car? the chip?

Yep. It has a transponder that if you have the wrong key the entire ignition is disabled. The only way to steal it is winch it on to a flatbed, plus my Corolla has an aftermarket anti theft device that because I have it I get $150 a year off my insurance

Well thanks for your help.....