I have a Mazda Tribute V6 2003 ...gear shift locks up in park...have to depress something down in steering column which unlocks it. Car usually does not start up . Sometimes it won't start when gear shift doesn't lock up and vice versa. New battery...car runs for months ..sometimes a couple of weeks then won't start. Been going on two years and is in the shop now at dealer. They have never heard of this. Help please

Asked by Jan 15, 2013 at 11:58 PM

232,755

Never heard of it? I'd find another dealer. Your shift lock solenoid is faulty or dirty. It can also be the cable/shift linkage that came off or the bushing on the cable wore.

It could be what is called the safety neutral switch, if so it may need to be replaced. Having to depress the release mechanism, is usually an indicator or I should say if you find your self having to do it a lot Sometimes, if you push it firmly towards park it will activate the shift. I see you mention column but is this a column shit or floor? I am not a Mazda guy. But on floor shifters there is usually a small cap that hides the hole where you need to insert a small screw driver and press down in order to get the safety neutral switch to release. On my car it wouldn't be exactly a fun thing to replace, but not anything to go to a mechanic for.

on top of trans there is two small grounds like 22 gage check them they break at the harnest