i have a 2002 nissan sentra that shakes when first started

Asked by Jan 12, 2013 at 01:07 PM

then is fine until today...it rained last night and it would start.i tried repeatedly until it finally did but now i see some white smoke not sure if its the head gasket or something else.the check engine light has been coming off and on.please help

The shaking is of course not normal, could be so many things, shaking is probably a misfire in one or more cylinders. Take a look to see if you see anything obvious, a spark plug wire off, something like that. The white smoke MAY be simply moisture in the air turning visible from the heat from you exhaust, if it's real cold out. Another possibility is if you have a near empty tank condensation has formed inside your gas tank, then the water runs to the bottom and gets picked up. I would not jump to conclusions of a head gasket, miles on car? Has it overheated on you recently? Check the oil and make sure it's the right color, hopefully not a chocolate brown and over full, and also coolant level.

89,985

Even with the check engine light off, the ECU stores the codes. Get the codes read at the parts store. It will probably indicate a P0300 (random misfire) or a P0301-04 (misfire in one of the cylinders). Write down all the code numbers. It could be, as David said, a plug or wire. It could also be a injector or fuel pressure regulator. The other code numbers will give you a clue where to look.

Ditto on that tenspeed...and bring the codes back to us, write them down, one of us will help you

my bf did take car to have codes checked...i know they said there is a misfire but it could be lots of things..... i will try again...... light is off now... up until now the car has ran great.....

i will try the mass air flow...maybe its loose or needs to be grounded?

oil is fine ...coolant is good and the spark plugs are all new car does have over 100,000 miles

Thank you very much.for some times now I have the same problem of my Nissan car shaking.i use a Nissan Sentra 2002 model and the car really consumes fuel.i can't controls the consumption of the fuel and I have no choice.secondly I have changed all the plugs and still the car keeps shaking and having lots of vibration.the sound of the engine is very bad.can you please help me solve his issue.

This is the normal engine of the car.i just wish I could post a video on how bad the car is a how bad the engine sound is.but on a serious note I have been having over heating problem which I changed the head gasket.after changing the gasket I think when I try to spead up the car it doesn't have a quick start.its takes a very long time for the car to run.an electrician was ones telling me I have a problem with my controls board which does give the plugs the full function of the car.but I doubt that.