My son is stationed as an MP in Anchorage, AK. His new vehicle, a Subaru Legacy sedan, comes dealer installed with an engine block heater.Has anyone had experiences, pro and con, with engine block heaters?Thanks...

5

Asked by Nov 24, 2012 at 07:20 AM

In Alaska, or Wyoming, Montana, Minnesota or wherever it get down to like 40 below, a block heater is almost mandatory, unless you park in a heated garage, all it is is a heating element that plugs in from an ordinary receptacle keeping the oil from getting so thick, even 5-20, that 1) it will start 2) gets proper lubrication. If it's that cold, and you do get it started (many batteries will fail that cold) and the oil is like grease, sure, it will warm up and have the right viscosity but until it does your engine is not getting oil where it needs it. I can think of no cons. And tell your son Thank You for his service from David.

1,995

I would recommend using Mobil One Extended Performance oil. I feel it is the best oil for the money. It is great in cold weather. And the block heater is a must in super cold weather.