Hi I have a Dodge Charger 2006 and every time I crank the car, I smell exhaust or gas fumes. What could be wrong.

Asked by Nov 15, 2012 at 03:36 AM

The smell doesn`t last but only when I crank it up and sit for a minute..

2,155

probably you have a worn gasket when the exhaust heats up it seals when its cold it shrinks away from it so when you first start up it is leaking until it gets hot and re seals again simple fix which costs about 20 pounds and a few hours of your time. regards j.s autos

12,035

I would be cautious here you might have a fuel leak. Get the fuel system checked out. If the smell is more like rotten egg smell that is different. This is just the catalytic converter doing its job.