i own a 68 impala but some of my chrome trim needs repair or even repaced is there a good dealer to get new items from or refurbished

Asked by Nov 11, 2012 at 04:07 AM

Take the items off and take them to a chrome plating shop, make sure they get copper coated then re-chromed, that would be like new, forget the car dealer. It would surprise me very much if they could get trim for a 1968, and a junkyard is just that: junk. 45 years is a long time. It's really cool that you still have all the trim and want to have it lookin' good. Sounds like you have a lot of pride of ownership

Best Answer

As much as I love this old gal I'd like to keep her as much original as possible thanks however as much as its going to kill me to cheat her out of her original tail end I just can't help but love the lines on the 67 only other option I'd have is an even swap my 68 for a 67 relatively close to same condition but anyone that owns one is probably a lot farther along than I am lol

Since I got ya here one other thing I was thinking I'd change her headache of a wiring harness to a new one say off a Cadillac or something that would be able to take after market stereo, amps,GPS, NoS with pc control systems and all it's capabilities that an old harness can't offer what do you think I'd this possible ? Or Amin really out there in dream land lol

Many GM vehicles of the 60's has a flat wire loom that ran right under the carpet from front to back. Sounds stupid, eh? But I know it for a fact. My GTO had it. Like I say, it was as if it was forgotten and put in as an afterthought, lay the flay loom down on the floor and carpet over it, leading to predictable problems. I re- wired mine after I finally figured out why it would not hold a fuse for tail lights. It simply was being stepped on constantly. So back to your Impala: sure it's possible. But forget factory or even aftermarket looms. Use 12gauge, wire and individually wire her up, or run a 10g hot then split that after you get it trhough the firewall, being careful to use a proper grommet for 1) won't cut insulation where you pass it through firewall 2) no fumes from engine compartment

PS put an in-line fuse close to battery or whatever power source. Recommend directly off battery or starter solenoid bolt.

Now that make good sense thanks a bunch got an email or Facebook think I'd like to bother the hell out of you as I go from time to time lol