What can you tell me about the Mazda RX8. Pros and cons?

Asked by Oct 26, 2012 at 12:39 PM

My granddaughter just purchased a MazdaRX8 without doing any research.  I undersand that it consumes a lot of gas and oil.  

You didn't specify year or model trim so paste: http://www.edmunds.com/mazda/rx-8/2011/features-specs.html?style=101364624 in to your web address box, not search, it tells you all about each

65

I have owned 3 Mazda RX7's. Great little sports car! It was the first generation, but the RX8 is like the 5th generation of this Rotary Powered Sports Car! The biggest thing is that Mazda has just discontinued this model, pressure from FORD, who owns a large percentage of Mazda. The model did not sell well, but I think it is still a fine, car! However it is a high maintenance Car due in part that is has the unique Rotary engine, but internally the engine NEEDS NO SERVICE, unlike most piston engines! You need to find a Rotary Engine Specialists or take it to a Mazda Dealer for service. The only other thing that is a negative is the fuel economy. Not very good, maybe average 27-30MPG,depending on how he drives! But it is one of the BEST HANDLING/CORNERING SPORTS CARS IN THE WORLD!

16,195

You cant let the size of the engine fool you. A rotary engine is a WHOLE different beast. Few moving parts, very smooth engine. They have little torque, and they love to rev high but other than the gauge you wont feel it. Take the engine size and triple it, the 1.3l rotary is more like a 3.9 piston engine. The exception is torque (rotary is much lower). The reason for discontinuing is becasue of the fuel consumption and mazda cant get them to run clean enough for emissions standards. And it's partialy becasue they do like to burn a little oil. It's part of the design. Keep up with it and you will love it. If you want a gas saver go get a miata or civic or something else.

10,635

Niche specialty car Mazda was In love with the Wankle engine concept but basically a FAIL.. now gone... dirt cheap to buy now in 2016

65

Mazda RX8 is been discontinued/ not a greats seller. Also has some reliability issues. Personally I owned 2 Mazda RX7s in the 80's (81-85), those cars were great! Lots of fun to drive! Great handling, good power! Also, it was very reliable. Only negative was disappointing gas mileage!