i have a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. Recently I have had an issue with the battery maintaining its charge after the vehicle is turned off. I have had the alternator and the battery checked, and both are testing fine. The battery terminals have been cleaned of corrosion and are reconnected. Everything looks like it is fine (although i am a girl attacking car problems through google help and I cannot pretend to be an expert in any way!) and yet I am still not getting it to hold the charge. It can be jumped, it will run and drive fine, but as soon as I turn it off I am reaching for those jumper cables again, and flagging down some poor stranger to help my sorry a$*.... any suggestions on what to do? THANKS!

Asked by Sep 30, 2012 at 05:50 PM

210

Was the battery check by a reputable source?

405

Check to se if there iis a device that might be left on when the vehicle is not running. Is the battery discharging over a period of hours or right away. After market devices such as a radio are sometimes wired directly to the battery and will drain the battery if left on after the vehicle is shut off. Pop the caps on the battery and check the cells to see if they are properly covered by acid with a flashlight. I was having the same problem even though it tested OK at a local parts store. If the battery is three or four years old it is brobably time for a new one especially if you are in a warm climate such as florida where I live.