2007 buick lucerne , water in spare tire well

Asked by Jun 19, 2012 at 09:40 PM

Bought used 6 months ago.  car is great, but I found 2 inches of water in the trunk. Mat is not wet, cannot see any water tracking/staining. Is there a drain that could back up, and possibly cause this?

595

can check the seal that goes around the edges of trunk where the trunk closes maybe it got moved and water leaks in when it rains

9,365

yes, it is most likely your trunk seal- if you don't know how to check for that, hop in your trunk with a flashlight, close the trunk, and have a friend or family member run a hose with water around the edges- you will locate the leak quickly- the water doesn't have to be high pressure either. Obviously, don't stay in there for long!!

240

I just had the same problem with 4" of water in the well (no pun intended). There is an oblong formed opening in the inner wall roughly behind the taillight. It is about 3/4" x 1" and is covered by a glued-on patch. My patch was partially glued and the water stream flowing from down the truck edge, through the cracks to the left of the right taillight, flows right over this hole and into the truck. You can access the patch from under the car, just above the tailpipe. Remove the patch, get some heavy duty tape and cover the opening.

50

Thanks, Fireballjoe. There is a matching opening on the driver side of the car. Mine was leaking there. I patched both sides.

20

Fireballjoe - that was the answer to my problem - thank you! other sites said you had to take off the bumper to access - I was able to find it with your instructions -

10

Thank you so much. Cleaned up the site & used a patch of gorilla tape.. See how it works. Did both sides==Saved going to a body shop to have the bumper removed. Not easy to get to on my buick, well worth the time.GM used junk to cover the holes. Am drying out my trunk now. Thanks again. Sign me gratefkul

10

Fireballjoe was dead right. Had the car out in the rain for a couple hours and not a bit of water in the trunk. I used an Elevator Bolt, marine silicon, a rubber washer and a nut all purchased at my local True Value Hardware Store. See photo below. Thanks a bunch Fireballjoe!

240

I think that this is so cool that an answer I found 4 years ago in Edmonton Alberta Canada has helped 4 different people across North America fix the same problem. Maybe more that didn't respond back. Thanks to you all for taking the time to tell me it helped you. I appreciate it. Joe