How to change differential oil on a 1979 ranchero. Sealed back cover with some sort of feeder hose at top of housing?

Asked by May 15, 2012 at 03:28 AM

Question type: Maintenance & Repair

1 Answer


The "feeder hose" is actually a breather tube for the differential to allow for expansion and contraction of fluid. To change the fluid you need to remove that cover. You want to clean out the inside of the differential case. You will need to clean the sealing surfaces of the cover and differential case before reassembly and put some good quality sealer on the mating surfaces during reassembly.

1 out of 1 people think this is helpful.

Your Answer

Add photo

Related Questions


Search Maintenance & Repair Questions

UK Questions

Are you a UK consumer? CarGurus now has a discussion forum in the UK.

Maintenance & Repair Experts

#1 Tom Demyan
Tom Demyan
Reputation 155,100
#2 FordNut
Reputation 105,720
#3 dandyoun
Reputation 86,530
View All