why Won't Start ?

Asked by Apr 13, 2012 at 05:01 AM

I have a 2000 Astro and it will not start when first started (usually with a jump). It has high mileage but until recently, it starting ok. I know it needs a tune-up but I think it could be something else as well. Sometimes I can see smoke coming from the breather when trying to start it, and the smoke is white.

3,465

your starter is probably going bad.

you can first learn something at www.xcardiag.com/ Why do you have to jump it? You need to be sure the battery has a full charge and the connections are clean and tight. Use a digital mutimeter across battery posts, everything off, the generic spec for a full charge is 12.6 volts. If the battery doesn't have a good charge, you can't test anything. The tune-up may have an effect on the trouble codes, tune-up first. You do have spider fuel system, you need to check fuel pressure again, 60--66 psi, key on engine off. Once fuel pump stops, the pressure shouldn't drop more than 5 psi in 10 minutes.