s there a way to have the OBD connector provide power to a connected device when the engine is off?

Asked by Apr 13, 2012 at 04:34 AM

I want to connect a device to the OBD connector (it draws less than 100mA) and have that power there even when the engine is off. I have tried on one engine and found that when the engine is off, the power is not passed through. If this is typical, is there a way to enable this? I guess it might be different per vehicle then? If you could enable this, would it potentially voice engine warranties?

you need to run electirc devices from your vehicle while it is not running, then look into buying a power inverter, they are designed just for this purpose. They range in ampergae capabilities and most will accomodate either a household type plug or a cigarette lighter type adapter. Your OBD(www.xcardiag.com) port is not a power plug and should not try and be used as such, since you run the risk of damaging your vehicle's computer system, which is not a good thing. You can do that by yourself: www.xcardiag.com