Is the 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer ES a good 1st car for my son

110

Asked by Jan 10, 2012 at 07:45 PM

has 90,ooo's miles on it

155

Not sure what engine you have but many mitsubishi engines are 0 clearance or what is know as interference engine. These engines tended to need the timing belt changed at or before 90,000 . Something to think about because having done a timing belts on these engines I can tell you it's not a small job and there are special tools required to do it properly and you don't want to mess up if the timing belt fails your looking at the cost of a new engine

245

It's a pretty good starting car. I would make sure you let him know its no rally car, which the Lancer Evo's are known for, and not to drive it as such. The car should be fairly reliable, and with a 4cyl under the hood it should get him around without giving him too much power.

110

the vehicle has the 4cyl motor in it so that he gets good gas milage.. what does the timing belt cost bye chance..thanx guys

155

I believe a timing belt is about $70 US retail but you could likely find them for less . The parts are not expensive but the labor is ,unless you can do the work yourself. If doing it yourself be sure to get all the gaskets and seals needed as well

1,715

good choice for a 1st car... 4cylinder engine with a nice power output and mileage... also, it handles great on and off road... not only the timing belt needs to be changed, check for leaks, and the oil of course...

110

my son got the car! he's happy. took the car over to Tires Tires Tires and the guys their said its okay. just have to watch and see.. Thanx for all the help guys!