Do you have an SUV with barn/ambulance doors on the back?

65

Asked by Dec 27, 2011 at 11:59 PM

These are the vehicles I know that have barn / ambulance doors: GMC Yukon, Chevy Tahoe, Chevy Suburban, Chevy Blazer, Cadillac Escalade, Oldsmobile Bravada. The years vary for which have these type doors but I have seen pictures and some actual vehicles with these type doors. Almost all full size vans have the split doors. I think I saw a Nissan type SUV with split doors.

If YOU have an SUV with barn doors please post the make model year and style/trim (if it has one). This information would REALLY help me out. Thank you.

65

Well I found out some of the Isuzu Troopers have barn doors. They ave a split 75 left / 25 right barn door. Haven't had the chance to see how well they open but I have seen a picture of one and I actually saw one in a parking lot. In researching this subject I also found out that the Mini Cooper had a few models with barn doors. I think though that the glass in the back lifted up and the doors below opened like barn doors. I remember seeing a picture of such a thing but I don't remember id it was the Mini or not. Found out also that some Toyota Landcruisers had barn doors. So far it looks like the 1990 GX model did and another model I am not sure of: FJ62. I think that was listed on a British website so it may be rue there and not here in the US. Also saw where a vehicle that was manufactured in Australia had barn dors but it was apparently an epic fail so they stopped making them. They were replaced by US made Suburbans. Apparently they were being made by GM but had a funky name for the Aussie market.

65

Oh, I should add that some of the Isuzu Troopers aparently had a back end door that was 100% to the left when opening. I had a Dodge van like that once a long time ago. Not sure what they call that type of rear opening door. And speaking of names, Barn doors have been refered to as Ambulance doors and Cargo doors for those looking (like me).

65

Found an older Toyota Land Rover with split doors. I didn't like it, it was only a 2 door. In the pics it looked like it had drop down bench seats in the back for passengers. They DID NOT look like they would be comfortable.

65

Just found out about a Toyota FJ Cruiser. I have seen one on the road and looked at a couple sites to see what I could see. I think the year was 2011, 2012. It has a full left swinging rear door. It has what I refer to as 2 and a half door access. the two read doors to the back sets are half doors. You have to open the front door to open the back. Loks like plenty of room to get in and out but I would have to see one to be sure. The thing I don't like about the rear door is it has a strut to keep it open (and closed I guess). It is kind of neat that it has a windo that lifts up for access to the back of the SUV, be it small it is there. It would help with air flow as well (I guess). It is definitely something to look at in person and not just in pictures.

i want a %100 left opening rear gate door for my mountaineer :-( the liftgate broke and i dont want to deal with another one, this seems the best solution.