I want to put a 1 ton or 3/4 ton rear end under my dodge 1/2 ton 4x4 ram.how do I go about finding one that will work with minimal complications?

Asked by Dec 19, 2011 at 12:13 AM

1944 Dodge ram  tradesman 4x4 1/2 ton long bed.I'm using it to haul firewood in the
snow..got a set of overload springs on it.Not much help.want to be able to haul 2 +
cords of lodgepole pine and saws and gear.Cant even come close.open to any
reasonably priced ideas.I really like the truck.it runs great I;m hoping the answers not
to get a bigger truck

365

Triverrat The First Thing You Need To Do Is Get One Of Thows Long Sticks With Numberes And Little Lines On It. lol Take A Measurment From The Center Of One Of The Spring Mounting Points To The Center Of The Other Spring Mount, Record Number. Next, Take A Look At The Yoke, You Might Need To Address The Mating To The Drive Shaft. Check Junk Yards Till You Find The Rear That Fits The Mount And Yoke You Have. I Know Something Is Out Their. If Not, Just Cut Off And Remount The Spring Mounts. As For The "Over Load" Springs.. Junk 200 Pound Gain At Best, Get Bigger/Stronger Springs For The Load You Want. Shocks Are Made To Stop Spring Bounce,,NOT To Hold Cords Of Wood Or ANYTHING. I Hope This Helped SWAT

Best Answer
165

Sounds like you're looking for more load capacity to me. A rear end is not going to do that for you on its own. It'll beef up the driveline, but it isn't going to increase your capacity to haul weight. You may be able to transfer over the spring packs from a 3/4 ton on the truck, measuring will be key. You could also get in contact with a spring manufacturer and they could potentially custom build you spring packs depending on what your financial situation is. Other considerations are that you may want to box in that area of the frame to make sure the chassis is up to handling all its new found load capacity.