radiator fan will not kick on

5

Asked by Nov 15, 2011 at 09:44 AM

When idling, my radiator fan won't come on and car starts to overheat.  all fuses are good, and I'm getting power to my fan.  Do I need to change my fan or is something else I need to check?

35

The next step is to check the fan motor with an ohm meter. It should show a very low resistance. I also have some jumper wires I use to put battery power directly to the fan as an alternative check.

155

it might be the thermostat, it could be malfunctioning so you might wanna check it

1,285

check for a ground for the fan, just put a test light, or voltmeter between the neg post of the fan plug and the battery and check for power, if that checks out its pretty certain that you need a new fan. fans are pretty cheap if you buy used and they tend to be quite reliable so used isnt too bad of a way to go

5

I unplugged the fan swtich located on the thermostat housing, jumped the wires over and the fan turned on. So, I installed a new fan switch. my fan now turns on it should. Thanks you for the help