Best OBD2 scan tool for Kias and Hyundais?

Asked by Feb 14, 2011 at 02:25 PM

I just bought a 2007 Kia Spectra for my son and a 2011 Hyundai Elantra for my wife. The Spectra has roughly 28,000 miles on it but recently the check engine light came on. I want to buy a OBD2 scan tool but I have heard that some of the tools don't have the codes for Korean cars. As an example I've read the Innova 3160 doesn't have the Kia codes.

I'd like to buy a OBD2 scan tool that has the Kia and Hyundai codes, can freeze frame data, can be updated with a USB port, includes the USB cable, attaches to the 20-pin hookup under the hood, and the software can be updated. Any suggestions?

Best service/repair manual? Chilton, Haynes or other?

I've also heard that some cars have a hook-up under the hood and one under the passenger or driver's side dash? This would be handy if I could use the OBD2 meter while driving. I've found the one under the hood but haven't started looking for one under the dash. Does the 2007 Kia Spectra have both hookups?

Thanks for any information you can give me.

2,085

2007 Spectra should have the OBD-II connector under the dash (driver's side) and an engine compartment diagnostic connector (by the battery/fuse block). The under hood connector is mainly for certain functions with the factory scan tool. I may be mistaken but one of the issue with any aftermarket scan tool and your Spectra is that your car isn't totally CAN, it has what they call K-line. Any OBD-II scan tool you buy to get solid communication out of would probably be a thousand dollars or more. OTC's Genesys might fit the bill.