How many keys opened 1950s Plymouths and Chevys?

Asked by Dec 03, 2010 at 10:25 AM

On two occasions I was able to open cars with a key other than my own. Was that common? How many key combinations were there. I'm writing about my old cars and any clues will be helpful. Thanks.

40

Back then in the 50s and 60s was a different time. Not too many ever took the keys out or the ignition And the doors were not locked as it is today. There were sometimes only twelve different keys To fit all makes and models of certain vehicles. General Motors had an ignition switch that was labeled as off and lock Meaning if you removed the key in the off Position and not the lock position you could start the vehicle Without a key.

Hey Dan, Thanks for your response. I appreciate it very much. I had new cars in the '50s and '60s (I'm 80) and everyone I knew locked their cars. (I was living in Philadelphia and suburbs then and if you didn't lock up, there could be big trouble.) Do you happen to know any way I can authenticate that there could have been as few as twelve keys? My incredible coincidences story in the media depends on some kind of accuracy. Thanks so much for your help. Larry