Will you buy a new car or a certified preowned

5

Asked by Nov 28, 2010 at 11:24 PM

4,785

Certified preowned typically makes the purchase price higher than non certified used vehicle, which could make future trade in difficult, because I am not sure if a certified vehicle is factor into future value of vehicle. However it usually includes extra warranty in addition to original manufacturer's warranty. New car you get a full manufacturer's warranty, but you lose a lot in depreciation unless you plan on keeping the vehicle until it is not worth fixing. Though you would be the first owner if the car is comfortably within your budget. I would say if you cannot afford new, a certified preowned would be a good option. Whichever path you decide make sure you get information on its vehicle manufacturer's certified program.

4,785

In my case I ended up buying a certified preowned since I could not afford a new car even with rebates. The certified preowned program came with an extra 12 month/12,000 mile on top of the original manufacturer's warranty. Unfortunately mine expired when I hit 48,000 miles, although the extra warranty was a peace of mind though and I still enjoy my car.

3,665

I would go used every time if at all possible. Then you know if that individual car is a good vehicle or a lemon from its history and having your mechanic check it out. Also, you can get a used car in practically new condition for a fraction of the cost of the same car brand new. Personally, I never buy from dealerships, always from a private party because dealerships have a nasty tendency to try to cover up problems in vehicles and over-price their vehicles with little room for haggling to a reasonable price.