why do cars in america have so bad mpg compared to the uk??

25

Asked by Jul 28, 2010 at 09:32 AM

we drive faster & on the right side of the road,we like to put our foot into it.hope this answers your question.plus our gas is not worth a crap.

3,265

Cause they're cars, not glorified golf carts. I wouldn't call getting 30 mpg out of full sized cars with 3.1 Liter and bigger V6s bad mileage either, check your facts before ya go sounding off about europe or wherever ya are being better than the U.S.A.

605

first off- our US gallon is different than an Imperial gallon http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_economy_in_automobiles Secondly- our government likes to stick their hand in stuff it doesn't belong in, so many times we'll get a good running european car, then load it down with mpg robbing, pollution controls and make it lose mpg. Third- Everyone wants a car they can drive like a complete jerk in, crash, and not be killed, so we make them heavier Fourth- We have an image problem, small cars are for pussies and thats not how we roll..... mostly Fifth- Apparently an inch of snow requires a car with AWD, and that reduces mpg What it comes down to is our society says "we don't give a crap about MPG" so the carmakers give us what we want. Its retarded, but its the truth, If we paid as much for fuel as the UK does, there would be a big change.

3,265

Good point. Gasoline sure isn't what it used to be since diesels got popular and consumers and the government demanded that diesel be more refined instead of being what was left over after all the kerosene, gasoline, motor oil, and other partials are extracted.

505

It is actually worse than official estimates. Basically all drivers go very fast and get even less . Good observation.

65

We don't have a lot of people on island. We have our own source of oil that makes it cheaper on us. We have a lot of areas to for oil. We just don't understand why readily. I would say that the government sets the price. I hope you understand that cease I readily don't know why

685

ozzie makes alot of good points. however european car manufacturers are also more advanced is certain aspects. for example alot of vehicles over there are very finely tuned v4 engines where over here we use v6,v8 and even v12. now before anyone argues with me, obviously there are exceptions, however for the most part they use v4 engines which improves fuel economy. when foreign manufacturers send vehicles over here they put in bigger engines cuz we like them. europe also has much stricter fuel economy standards and heavy penalties for vehicles that don't meet them. causing manufacturers to have more fuel efficient vehicles over there. hope this further answers your question