winter tires

5

Asked by May 17, 2010 at 02:22 AM

i use studded tire on all 4 wheels in the winter and i swear by them. So why do some places ban them in the winter ?
My front wheel drive with studded tire seem to handle just as good on road in the winter as a 4 wheel drive.
So why does places like Ontario ban them in the winter.

1,945

If you compare the traction level of studded winter tires with that of 4wd system (usually equipped with all-season tires), you are grossly under estimating what studded tires can do on snowy/icy surfaces! Whether you have front, rear or all wheel drive (including 4wd), the traction level you have is only as good as the tires you use. Other factors which may affect winter performance are: tire (not rim) diameter (the bigger the better) and ground clearance (although at SUV height or taller, the vehicle may be at significantly increased risk of flipping under certain conditions!). Studded tires destroy asphalt and as it is we are already paying too much tax maintaining our roads/highways. Studded tires have very compromised dry pavement performance and unless you live in outlying areas where pavements were snow covered all winter long, it is just an overkill. Recent advances in snow tire design have allow very well rounded performance of non-studded (called "friction") winter tires - quiet, comfortable, good handling (comparable to performance all-season tires), and longevity (as long as ambient temp. remains low) on winter dry pavements, yet can still scale a few inches of snow/slush and ice with ease! Ultimately, the answer depends on where one lives and thus the type of pavement one drives on, and most of all, one's driving habit.