To Buy or not to Buy?

Asked by Dec 10, 2009 at 11:30 AM

I’m having a hard time picking between the two as a toy…1998 Boxer (3 owners)  or  1998 Z3 (2 owners) Z3 is 1.9 hum small motor!  Z3 $15,000 very clean!  Boxster $13,000 not so clean.  I have concerns with what I’ve read on the problems with the Boxster….just can’t decide, any comments?

1,945

I will pick the Boxster. Its chassis is far more refined and focused than the Z3 (independent suspension vs. semi-trailing arms from the 70's). Its boxer-6 engine is true to porsche tradition with such sweet induction noise and silky smooth high end performance (the 1.9 four banger of the Z3 can only be described as "agricultural" at best). Thanks to the mid engine placement, the Boxster has such pin-sharp turn-in and natural mid turn rotation where the Z3 struggles with pronounced understeer all the way through. Little needs to be said of the advantage of Brembo brakes on the Boxster for superior modulation. The Boxster is a serious machine even in its base trim. If you are concerned with its reliability, most serious issues (ie. engine block/seal/bearing defects, etc.) typically happen around 25k mi. If this '98 is still running, expect repairs on wear/tear items just the same as the Bimmer would.

Best Answer

Thanks Vince, I’ve read a lot on the oil leaks and that’s my major concern. The car has 85,000 KM and told it’s running great. Have to also wonder if the timing chain/belt is due. Last thing I want to have is a motor replacement. Cheers,

6,665

porsche>>>>>>>>bmw

35

No man go for the boxter! its a 3.2 l and its better chassis

you rich yuppies make me lol!!!!!!!!!!!

Many thanks to all your comments, I managed to take all the info from here and other sites I tapped into and found what I feel was a “GREAT” buy. After months of looking, driving, traveling and studying the web, I bought a 2001 Boxster, triple black, show room condition, owned by a Porsche Executive, extremely low KM’s and always maintained by Porsche. WOW…what an experience. Now, any suggestions on how to explain it to my wife? Cheers!