To Buy or not to Buy?

Asked by Dec 10, 2009 at 11:25 AM

I’m having a hard time picking between the two as a toy…1998 Boxer (3 owners)  or  1998 Z3 (2 owners) Z3 is 1.9 hum small motor!  Z3 $15,000 very clean!  Boxster $13,000 no so clean.  I have concerns with what I’ve read on the problems with the Boxster….just can’t decide, any comments?

135

The Z3 generally has cheaper parts, and your particular example is, as you say, in better condition than the Porsche. Also, the Z3 kept its looks better than the Boxster, as well as being seen as a more masculine car. The first-gen Boxster has more horsepower, but it is seen as a car that you would often find in pink or other very feminine colors. The BMW is the best choice in my mind.

Many thanks for the input. I checked out the Porsche today, not well taken care of at all, found rust in the front trunk, had recently been part painted, doors didn’t open from inside, water leaks in the top behind the seats…should I go on? The Boxster is nice but its finding one taken care of at comparable prices. Off to find the Z3 with a 6 banger, have a feeling I'm going to have to spend a few more $'s. Have to say being 6’-4” the Porsche had more headroom!

185

you could get the m coupe for about 19000. It doesnt look amazing, but it will soon be rare and its got the m3 engine in a hardtop z3 body. If you want a convertible then never mind. I would stick with the bmw cause the first three years of boxers had horrible reliability. "The engine check light is actually the engine replace light" if you catch my drift, so the conditions that yours is in will probably break down or have catastrophic engine failure as soon as you drive it. If you find a 2000+ boxer for cheap BUY IT, other than that stick with a bmw.

Many thanks to all your comments, I managed to take all the info from here and other sites I tapped into and found what I feel was a “GREAT” buy. After months of looking, driving, traveling and studying the web, I bought a 2001 Boxster, triple black, show room condition, owned by a Porsche Executive, extremely low KM’s and always maintained by Porsche. WOW…what an experience. Now, any suggestions on how to explain it to my wife?