Clear coat problem

75

Asked by Oct 02, 2009 at 11:35 PM

was just wondering if the clear in a can you get at the auto parts store is the same as from the body shop?

2,135

The clear coat in spray can available from auto parts store is acrylic and solvent base and will usually take up to a week to cure properly before any sanding/buffing can be done. The clear coat used by auto body shop is completely different (the proper generic name just slipped my mind - acrylic urethane base), more resembles those used by the factory. The lattert requires catalyst to cure and can usually be worked on in an hour after it is applied. For spot repairs and air-brushing, I prefer the acrylic clear coat which can be thinned and is easier to sand/work with due to its softer nature. For complete coverage and more corrosive resistance (exposure to gasoline, moisture, brake dust, etc.), I recommend the acrylic urethane clear coat. Please be forewarn that the latter is not solvent base and thus requires proper preparation of the surface to avoid fisheyes and delamination.