What happens to the feul if u stepon it, while its goin really, really slow and is on 5th gear, because um sure there is incomplete combustion? So u loosin fuel or not?

25

Asked by Jul 20, 2009 at 01:59 AM

What happens to the feul if u step on it, while its goin really, really slow and is on 5th gear, because um sure there is incomplete combustion? So u loosin fuel or not? I just wanna know, cause nobody gave me a reasonable answer!

1,315

this is what i am understanding from your question. Your asking if you waste more fuel while in 5th gear and wide open throttle. No there is no incomplete combustion. Yes you still use fuel. Your putting a heavy load on the engine so it needs to use more energy in turn used more gas. think of it this way... Your in 5th gear rolling at 40mph, your rpm is about 1500. You full throttle it.... its like you lifting 200lbs over what you can handle. in turn you waste more energy trying to lift it. If your rolling at 40mph in 2nd gear at 6000rpm and full throttle it. Its like you listing 50 pounds under what you can handle but 100 X more reps. in turn you use lots of energy.

Good answer. Put very precisely as as correct as it can be ;)

115

Just to add to previous comments, when your engine is on, and cumbusting, your using fuel. As far as efficiency just about every car has its sweet spot. The best way to find it is cruise at 55 miles an hour in your tallest gear (usually fifth) and look at the tach. Most auto manufacturers gear cars to be most efficient at this rpm range.