which car is faster around the corners, the most recent STI or the most recent EVO?

Asked by Jul 17, 2009 at 07:46 PM

35

actually the new SS Cobalt Turbocharged beat both on the track in a recent test. but between the two the sti is quicker because of the the gear ratio of the manual trans being lower gear ratio providin more pull at the Apex of the turn than the typically higher ratio of the EVO's paddle twin clutch gear box.

55

In previous years they have been practically the same car but if by "faster around the corners" you mean around a track the evo wins. Every magazine that has compared the two says that the evo is the better car by a lot. I am an evo fan and my friend is an sti fan and he thinks that the evo is better!

295

The Evo X does have a manual version. And no way man, lower power and FWD on the cobalt can beat an AWD on the track? What kind of comparison were they doing? An F1 driver vs somebody's grandmother?

5

An EVO should have the advantage. Power delivery relatively is similar as seen in the 0-60, 0-100 times As far as handling goes, which I think you are more concerned about, the EVO has a lower wheel lock-to-lock ratio at 2.3 compared to 2.8 if my memory serves me correct. Additionally, the EVO is lighter which in handling, it is absolutely huge, just look at lotus. Also, (again I apologize for any inconsistencies as I am going from memory here) the EVOX is the first US model EVO to sport AYC or Active Yaw Control. I have no clue what Yaw means, but I know the system is very similar to the Acura SH-AWD. What it does is monitor the slip not by front to back but side to side and transfers torque accordingly, its pretty cool stuff. I think the ATESSA-S AWD on the new GT-R uses something similar as well and we all know how beastly that bad boy is. I feel bad I left out the Subie. I am a complete subie man myself but I do give respect where it is due. As far as stock to stock, with equal drivers, the EVO should win out. If you need the car for daily driving I would HIGHLY suggest the STI. After driving a EVO if you aren't on paved roads you may want to bring a pillow. It is a little unforgiving. The STI is no slouch either, that's for sure. Best of luck in the selection. (GO STI!!!)

5

To the SS comment. I would love to see the reference. I know the CSS is a pretty quick car, but through the corners I have no doubt the STI would take it, especially the new one. Maybe you read that the CSS took the WRX to school. That I could see. The new (09) WRX got toned down a little, but the 10's are better again. Not sure if its enough to take the cobalt though. This argument is also only if it is dry ground :)

8,185

http://www.caranddriver.com/content/download/122224/1656509/version/1/file/The+Lightning+Lap%2C+2008+Results.pdf

8,185

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/review-2009-chevy-cobalt-ss-coupe/ 4th paragraph from the end... "on a curvy track the Cobalt SS can shame any other U.S.-market sport compact, even the Evo and STI" Besides, fact is in the end it's a $35,000 car vs. $25,000... Do you want to pay $10,000 for a better interior?

35

I think you need to do some homework my man. Its physics...horsepower doesnt mean anything if the car cant handle. Its about power to weight distribution. The cobalt has a superb suspension set up and a limited slip diff. not to mention the flat foot shifting that the SS comes with from the factory...whic means the SS can maintain full boost pressures in between shifts due to not having to let off the gas when u shift because of a input to the PCM from the clutch postion sensor. on a track all this can help dominate any AWD sport compact in the class as the cobalt. When a car that is front wheel drive it is pulled thorugh a turn with the drivetrain and the maintains better stability to the straight shot instead of a AWD's drivetrain trying to fight to maintian stability.And the answer to your question about which article this was in look at CAR AND DRIVERS " Lightning Lap" section.

35

Active YAW control is basically a twin clutch system that controls different torque outputs to individual axles based on wheels slipping to wheels gripping. its computer based from the PCM inputs from throttle positon and VSS ( Vehicle Speed Sensors) and other attributs including braking.It was introduced by Mitsubishi and was first used in the EVO IV.

105

it would depend on the weather too

3,115

its not ten grand for a better interior. I gurantee that both the sti and the evo have a lot stiffer chassis then that junky cobalt. There suspension set up is significantly better the the cobalt and they are both awd. Maybe if you knew anything about them you could chime in. The chevy cobalt is horribly ugly and all it is is that car all girls are like ooo thats cute i think i want to buy one etc sunfire which is the old version.

5

all of that is true but we all have to agree that the evo is much faster noty only in a straight line but also on the track and offroad due its perfect lightweight chassis and its perfect Japanese engine tuning delivering a very good car with perfect handling whereas the sti comes no where near its been proven that an evo can stick to the tail of a lamborghini mercielago which easily makes it very good

35

hmmm...if u know so much fred about these overpriced tuners..then tell me what kind of suspension set up do they have...how many spline axles does the evo have? what exactly does the limited slip diff do to either car? what kind of gear ratios do they have and what trim compressor does the sti have?

35

and about your girl comment... why is it that EVERY damn girl drives a piece of shit mitsubishi lancer on the street which looks exactly the same as the evo except for a extremely small air-to-air intercooler and a apple sized turbo .honestly......the new evo x is slower than the previous evolutions...all wheel drive is a limiting factor..it robs horspower output because of the drivetrain fighting to distribute torque evenly to the axles....sorry but i would take a STI or cobalt any day of the week

3,115

actually it doesnt look the same at all maybe if you actually look closely you would know that. All of the body panels are different. The base model is only like 66 inches as appose to 72 which may not seem a lot but it definitly is when it comes to cars. A lot of them panels had been changed to aluminum in 06 such as the roof,hood and front fenders to shed almost 30 lbs. Also they switch over to 6 gears that year which a lot of people didnt like. Its got stock hollowed cams and instead of steel in the crossbracing of the doors they used aluminum. The suspension set up is all bilstein with strut coil overs in the front and multi link shock in the rear. and as for the the spline axles it has four two for the front and two for the back and it also has two drive shaft am i right? hmmm i think its has to do with something called AWD. oh it also has a power transfer unit as well. They need the limited slip because they are awd and the front and rear travel through the corners and a different speed on each tire. if they didnt have that then they would just break the rear end loose and not have traction. The gear ratio do you mean in the axles or the transmission????? for the transmission it depends on the model but the 06 if its a RS,IX its: 1st- 2.785 2nd- 1.950 3rd - 1.444 4th - 1.096 5th - 0.761 If its the MR edition it got the 6 speed speed so it is. 1st - 2.909 2nd- 1.944 3rd - 1.434 4th - 1.100 5th - 0.868 6th - 0.693 As for the axle ratios they are 4.53 Doesn't the wheel on the compressor a 56 mm if i remember correctly? its gvw is 3175 and the compression ratio is 8:8:1 the bore and stroke is 3.4" x 3.5" anything else to prove i know about the car?

3,115

Have you even driven any of the three?and why is the intercooler small have you not seen many intercoolers on stock turbod cars the sti top mount is half the size explain that???? and the turbo is about the same size as well......and the reason they put smaller turbos in stock cars is for efficiency stop talking out of your ass for a sec. you seem to be all talk with your 91 nissan 300zx which is a whale of a car may i add it pretty much like a 3000gt.

35

Fred when i stated splines on the axles i meant the actual number of SPLINES not axles.. its pretty obvious how many axles an awd car has and the reason the sti top mount is so small because it has big enough plumbing diameter to create a velocity flow and no pressure drops to the intake manifolds. when u stated the axle ratio...a gear ratio and axles ratios are two totally opposite things here fred..i asked for trans gear ratios...axles are not gears....seems to me someone can read real well and has never actually worked on a car.

3,115

i actually have been wrenching on cars most of my life. I know a lot about mitsubishi and a little about every other japanese brand. Ive been working in a shop for 3 years now so your telling me i know nothing? I will say that i didnt know exactly the gear ratios for the trans to the .3 but i did know the whole number of each ratio. Just because your a mechanic doesnt mean your a good one i know alot of so called mechanics that use that line and they are the most retarded people i know that know really anything about cars. I was knocking on your 300zx entirely you just appeared to be one of those guys "oh i just bought a "fast" old car so know i got cred to run my mouth. you paid 8 grand for a 91?????!!! wow that thing must either have low miles or your got hosed .and 2 grand isnt really anything by the way that can get you maybe a new turbo and a intercooler or two new seats or fuel managment. And i dont care about 0-60 drag racing is boring to me im into drift,rally, and gymkhana/autocross. And why are you suddenly anonymous?

8,185

"a lot stiffer chassis then that junky cobalt. There suspension set up is significantly better" You're using this as an argument for the STI and EVO, who loose to the Cobalt in turns and have the advantage in the straights? "Maybe if you knew anything about them you could chime in" You can knock it all you want, but times don't lie, and spewing crap and insulting me ain't gonna change that.

35

STI :D

295

Well, at least this solves the mystery on the other thread on this forum that had people hammering on that FWD's suck.

35

lower power?are you kidding its 225hp plus a turbo in a car as light as the balt ss thats a lot think power to weight.but back to the topic um id say the evo x but i havent really read up on the new sti,so if anybody has any stats that would help?

35

i dont even know what a limited slip does,so can you enlighten me?