What's sitting in your garage waiting for attention???

4,325

Asked by Apr 13, 2009 at 10:11 AM

Love to see 'project' cars in the works. What's in your garage? What does it need? Here's mine: 66 GTO numbers matching, owned it 30+ years. I am pulling the original 4bbl block, storing it for future. It's getting a '67 tripower .030 bored 400 block, TH350, Hurst dual gate, power disc brakes all 4 wheels. Next year it gets a 'factory' A/C setup using all original 66 parts.

4,325

Just spent an hour with Nunzi going over the 400 block build: Crank will get hardened. Manley rods, Crower pistons, .030 over bored Neutral balance rotating assembly, new flywheel and balancer. 6x heads will get SS valves with stem reliefs, bronze guides. Heads will be intake port matched to tripower manifold. Roller chain to HO street cam (not decided yet). HEI ignition. RA-IV cast exahust manifolds to 2 1/2" x-pipe, Flowmasters. Will make 425 hp+ on pump gas and look completely stock. That's the good part. The bad part is its going to cost me about double what I had planned. Is it worth it? Well, it's a Nunzi Performance engine, which is probably better than a Jim Butler engine in many ways. (Jim would agree, in fact - he told me so himself). Since I'm in no real rush, and Nunzi is doing this engine even tho he's officially retired, I feel okay going forward. Still, it was a shock. Instead of an engine, I have an investment - and if the day ever comes that I have to sell this engine, the Nunzi connection will carry a ton of provenance. He just isn't building them anymore. Open the wallet!

4,325

Update: My wife says, save up, pay for it over time, it's an investment. What a woman!! lol. Now I will have to let her drive the thing.

3,055

you should recheck 67 tri-power .66 was the last year for tri power engines, why not just get a 66tri power for the original engine. nice car though. i have a 65 tri power thats in rough shape , i also have a 65 lemans thats closer to being restored with a 71 gto 455 engine & an m-22 muncie brand new. with a 65 gto 355 rear. it needs minor body work , but i want to get it running berfore spring time

3,055

your wife has a good point, when you have to work for your money its alot different then people that don't. we can't do everything all at once and that also takes the fun out of working on your own car. in the end it pays off!

4,325

Thanks! I scaled back the engine build, found a clean 400 ci Service Replacement 67 block and had it bored +030 with 6x heads and HO cam. It comes in at 8.75 CR so pump gas will be fine. Aftermarket 66 tripower manifold with original carbs, and RAIII exhaust, so it will look pretty much the way it's supposed to under the hood. I'll be happy with 380 HP but the builder says it should be good for more. We'll see!

3,055

sounds nice ,bet you can't wait to hear the roar of that tri power,it's awesome ! i had it on my 65 GTO. when the car idles it sounds like a 326 as soon as you hit the gas it just screams!....where did you find the ralll exhaust manifolds?

45

Hi Norm, looks and sounds all familiar to me tho, I also have a '65 GTO, nope 2 of them to be honest as I couldn't just rip the last one I bought apart to fix the older one. Only thing is in the middle of the old continent the only experts are online . So for me the net is vital. Would love to hear more on your '66 in the future.

4,325

Ram Air III exhaust is available at Ames Performance and also also Performance Years. I got the PY unit, it was a few bucks cheaper and came with the flanges. It's a direct bolt-up. When I was researching headers I was lucky enough to speak to Nunzi Romano who engineering the original RA 3 headers for Pontiac. (He did quite a bit of real-world engineering and testing for the racing division at Pontiac.) He told me, and I have no doubt he is correct, that the RA3 cast manifolds make the same HP as tube headers up to about 5500 RPM. Then the tubes win, but not by much. In addition, the RA3 castings are excellent heat sinks and keep the heads cooler than tubes which helps with cylinder scavenging and fuel burn efficiency. They also look awesome powder coated.