car engine and mileage

Asked by Feb 04, 2009 at 01:37 PM

can heavy engine give great mileage?

1,135

rephrase this question... can a heavy engine give good mileage/... like as in how much the engine weighs compared to how efficent a car is ??? thats pretty short sighted ... its more like do heavy cars get good mileage which is no... not as good as the same engine in a lighter car... i suppose if you had two engines in the same cars and one was 200lb heavier it would have worse mileage but that could be made up in driving style...

I mean more engine capacity. Ie cc.

1,105

Depends on your driving... your style of driving, where you drive... Lets put it into perspective shall we? I drive a 1985 Ford Crown Victoria. It has a 351 windsor V8, 2 barrel carb. My friend drives a 90 something dodge spirit, with some POS 4 banger, fuel injected engine. (2.something litre) you could probably make 2 of his car weight wise out of mine. City driving, if he drove like a human being he'd probably kick my ass for milage. HOWEVER Highway driving, I blow his doors off, becuase my engine isn't working as hard to make the car keep up. and even then, if I keep responsible on the Gas and don't launch the car from every intersection, I get decent milage for city driving as well. The transmission also matters. I have Overdrive, he does not. which again is an advantage to my car. The misguided belief that a 4 cyl engine is more efficent than a V8 is a myth and should be regarded as a joke.