engine

5

Asked by Jan 28, 2009 at 12:45 AM

what is the main thing that connects everything together?

265

Everything connects everything but the main components that make compression to turn the wheels are the cylinders, pistons, and cam. But these absolutely could not run without the other major components to hold in and transfer the compression to the wheels.

5

okay that makes sense and that is really cool. how is everything is tied into together to make sure that the engine is runned.

1,285

compression is the opposite to power in an engine, combustion is power, compresstion is getting the air/fuel ready to fire.... the basics of an engine is.... suck squeeze bang blow ( quite an easy way to remember it) basically the intake valve opens, sucks a quantity of air/fuel mixture into the engine, the piston bottoms out, the valve closes. the piston then comes back up, compressing the air/fuel mixture, to make the atoms of the mixture closer/hotter, and more eager to ignite. the spark plug then sparks, ignites the charge, and pushes the piston downward, when it reaches the bottom, the exhaust valve opens, and the exhaust is vented out. the pistons are all connected by a rod ( connecting rod... ) to a part on the bottom called a crankshaft which spins and moves the pistons up/down and transmits power to the wheels. thier are more parts then this obviously, but that is the basis of how and internal combustion engine works

1,285

and by how everything is connected to each other... i would assume you mean the engine block?

235

NO NO NO You are all WRONG ...... BOLTS, NUTS and STUDS connect everything together!!!

195

and pipes and tubing in some cases. XD

2,210

Damn!..what a test tube baby!

7,375

if i understand your question correct i think you are refering to the crank.

the block