Hummers have no place on suburban streets

75

Asked by Dec 24, 2008 at 12:10 AM

Why does this quiz feature so many stupid Hummers? They are a commercial vehicle as opposed to a car - we don't see any Toyota LandCruiser Personnel Carriers in the quiz.

855

Hummers are a cult classic, they've got a following. Most hummers now a days are just SUVs anyway... H2,H3... saying they shouldn't be on the streets is like saying the FJ cruiser or any SUV like that has no place...

2,050

Funny story...I was at Starbucks several months ago. I was seated outside drinking a coffee when I witnessed a "fender bender." A Ford Escort was backing out of a parking space; a H2 Hummer was entering the space next to the escort. The Hummer overshot the white line and struck the back corner of the Escort. The Escort lost the red lense of the tail light and no other damage. The Hummer was really jacked up damage wise. Fender, light assembly, composite shielding plates on undercarriage and paint damage. The collision was minor and that Hummer got at least $4000.00 in damage and that is a consertative estimate! BIGGER ain't always BETTER or SAFER! I laughed my ass off!

195

I know there are some people out there that will say differently, but every kid at some point in there life has wanted the original Hummer. Sadly though when you reach an age that can clearly understand the numbers it makes no sense. 8 Mpg doesn't make sense to any buyer today. It really cant make sense to a serious off-road enthusiast either. Once they perfect hydrogen power I will make one mine.

855

lol, Escorts are a tough little shit kicker... My first car was an escort... 400,000kms when I bought it for $200 ran like a top! and if you've ever watched one at a derby... man... goes forever... My personal favourite is watching them trounce the mustangs on the round track lol

2,050

Sorry Rob..I disagree. As a former Army Motor Sergeant, I had 79 H-1 mil-spec vehicles in my motor pool. They were worthless in my opinion. For the most part, anyone driving a Hummer is doing so for only ONE REASON; they can afford it and they want EVERYONE to know it. They are not practical, they ride terrible and they certainly are no safer than any other vehicle. If you'll notice the new Ford Flex, the replacement for the Expedition, it ISN'T A FUEL PIG! It's lower to the ground improving aerodynamics and gives above average fuel economey. THAT is the future of SUV's because some folks actually need them for practical reasons. So, if a person likes the HUMMER, more power to them. They are as aerodynamic as a BRICH and the mileage won't improve. But, to justify their existance is a losing arguement. Like the dinosaurs, the Hummer too will become extinct.

2,050

OOPS!...I meant BRICK!

855

I'll admit... My inner child wants to drive an H-1 lol

35

if it's an h2 h3 it's a stock GMC for twice what it's worth, but a chev P/U and get twoce the ride for half the coin. far as the hummer and hum v, no better that a stock bronco. I have pics somewhere of a hum v on it's lid trying to keep up with a stock 1982 bronco. Very cool trucks and worth driving if it's not the GMC version but totaly useless as far as I am concerned.

2,050

Well, it all goes back to square one. The H-1 was a civillian version of a tactical military vehicle.The modifcations that generated the other HUMMER vehicles were adaptations giving this "elephant" liposuction for street application. It was just too darned big! Then you add a/c and power this and that...they were never designed to be practical because it was an impossibility. The HUMMER was and will always be a mil-spec vehicle regardless of the configuration. Arnold Schwartzenegger got them noticed when he bought one of the first ones. People with disposable income wanted them and they were made available. Car dealers will do what's productive to generate the maximum profit; years ago, the HUMMER was the newest cash cow. As I said before, that was then; this is now. The days of the HUMMER are coming to an end. With all the GM woes, the HUMMER is destined to join the Dinosaurs in extinction.