effects of running on bio fuels

Asked by Nov 29, 2008 at 12:03 AM

how is a car converted to run on vegetable oil, and is wear and tear more significant on the engine parts?

2,040

I assume you're asking about bio-diesel. To answer the question; one, it MUST be a DIESEL powered vehicle. And two, there are no major modifications required to burn bio-diesel. The one drawback is that bio-diesel has a tendacy to break down standard rubber fuel lines. Those should be replaced with an industrial plastic line instead. This is a very BRIEF description of a DETAILED process. Used cooking oil is collected and heated then the PH is determined. A lye and Alcohol soultion is mixed with the oil and creates a chemical reaction. The waste material will settle to the bottom, this is glycerin. It is then drained from the bottom until the remaining liquid is clear; this is your bio-diesel. You can pump it directly into your tank and burn it. Your cost if you do it yourself, approximately .55-.65 cents per gallon. The wear and tear is less than average because the bio-diesel lubricate the engine better. Plus, it smell like cooking when it exits the exhaust pipe.

855

I've got a buddy who converts veg. oil with his old man in thier barn to turn it into bio-diesel. it's seemes like a pretty simple process. If you decide to start doing it though, be careful, it can be dangerous (They sent a funnel though thier Barn roof once...) other than that, you can probably approach local resturants that use oil for cooking, they'll probably give it to you know charge since it's not costing them to get rid of it. If you were to run it in a vehicle, I'd reccomend finding an older model to do so, as homemade diesel would be likely to void any warrenty or service agreements...

2,975

ive heard it is actually horrible for the motors including the the diesels. It ruins the valves and heads

2,040

You're wrong. Bio-diesel will only run in a compression combustion engine; AKA, DIESEL. Because the oil part of the fuel is Vegetable Oil and not petroleum, it burns COMPLETELY leaving NO RESIDUE to damage the internals. And, because the combustible part is Alcohol, again, complete combustion with zero residue. If you smell a bio-diesel exhaust, it makes you hungry. Smell a petroleum based diesel exhaust...you gag like a maggot. So whom ever told you that BALDERDASH needs to listen for the "pop" of his head coming out of his backside.

855

Mmmm French fries....

2,040

Come to think of it, someone with ties to the OIL industry may have said it. After all, they manulipate the prices of crude at their whim. A few months ago, gasoline was 0ver $5.00 a gallon in some places. When consumers cut back on it due to price, look at what happened; it's priced waaaaay low (Comparatively speaking) again. Like I said before, all TERRORIST need not use violence to get their message across. As far as I'm concerned, the entire OIL INDUSTY are industrial TERRORISTS because they have a MONOPOLY. I hate them all.

855

I was pretty impressed when it dropped back to the 2 digit / litre range... Even more impressed when it went back to the 75-78 cent/Litre range... Never thought I'd see a 7 in that spot again without a 1 in front! it's hovering aroung .80/L here at the moment... but I had a buddy report it getting as low as .72/L where he is (Which is near one of the Native reserves... so it would have been in the 60's out there!) Have no fear though, it will come back up... that much is certain... "Signs of the apocolypse? You mean like... Four horsemen, Plague and Famine... $5 a Gallon Gasoline?!"

7,515

Sorry to pull up a dead thread, but Some relevant stuff popped on my SAE off-highway newsletter. (It's about new hoses, but they mention some general information about biofuels... (I for one hadn't heard that they reduce emissions) http://www.sae.org/mags/SOHE/4482