Nitrous Oxide

Asked by Nov 14, 2008 at 06:32 AM

Is NOS really a danger to a street car?????

8,285

Is jumping out a second floor window a danger to someone who's jumped off their porch? NOS increases stress on the engine to a point that it's not designed for. And just like jumping out a window doing it every now and again won't give you more than a few bruises, but eventually you will break your leg, just like with NOS you will bend a rod... Not to mention all the idiots who put NOS systems on their car without getting rid of the platinum plugs... On used sparingly on a car that has at least thoughtfully installed the system, and it's usually fine, but most people are idiots and kill cars with it.

2,180

Actually, no it isn't WHEN USED PROPERLY!! The problem is, nitrous is a "power adder;" this simply means, it's used in conjunction with other modifications. Most "Wannabes" take a slow car with no speed or performance mods and add nitrous to increase power; that ISN'T the intended use. Nitrous Oxide adds an additional oxygen molecule to the combustion (air/fuel atomization) process. This results in a stronger explosion in the cylinder which equals more horsepower via combustion. EXAMPLE: Oxygen and acetelyne cutting torch. The acetelyne will burn alone and will increase in flame size with more gas. BUT...when you add the oxygen to it, the flame turns blue and it gets considerably hotter; hot enough to weld or cut metal. That is what the nitrous does inside the combustion chamber. Ideally, most cars using nitrous need increased air intake, higher flowing exhaust systems, beefed up fuel delivery systems and often timing adjustments to facilitate the burn. With that being said, IF YOU HAVE A SOLID ENGINE, as long as you do not exceede 45% of your flywheel horsepower with the nitrous shot, you should be fine. But if you increase to 55%, the timing needs to be retarded at least 5-10 degrees. Also, nitrous is addictive! Once you spray it, you want to spray more! That is when it starts to damage engine components. Anything above 55% of you flywheel horsepower usually requires internal engine modification to handle the additional stress. Keep in mind that Nitrous systems is 100% illegal on a street car! If you get caught with it charged and armed by a cop, be prepared to be MADE AN EXAMPLE OF!

Thanx 4 da reply,brother

Thank u 4 clearing my doubt,Logan.....

2,180

I hope it helped, although the other answer was pretty accurate, I felt you needed to know "why" and "how" NOS added power.