carbon fiber

2,975

Asked by Sep 26, 2008 at 06:50 AM

what are your thoughts on carbon fiber? is it worth the money? do you like the looks of it unpainted?

215

Anything is worth the money if you're wealthy enough. I personally don't think carbon fiber is worthwhile unless you're competing in races or shows. But if you've got lots of cash and you want to drop some serious weight off your car, then that's probably the best way to do it. I think it generally looks better painted if it's exposed to sunlight because otherwise the weave will yellow. But there's a really expensive additive you can apply that will prevent that.

2,975

yea i agree entirly on that there are so many people that thing they are the man because the buy a carbon hood or carbon mirrors i just laugh at them because they just waisted money..

105

i subscribe to the "go, then show" philosophy... i'm all for getting new wheels and doing some little exterior accents... but im not gonna get any carbon fiber or a body kit til i've got enough power behind it to make me feel like i can "back it up" so to say... so that my looks as fast as it goes or slower... i might just roll sleeper... just some new rims.... cause thats always fun.

255

Gotta agree there. All show and no go makes Jack a dull boy. Carbon fiber is cool-looking, I think, and it's also very light and stronger than steel. It's definitely a plus to have it on a car that's made for the track, but to see a carbon fiber accessories on an every day driver just makes me laugh. But hey, people can spend their money on whatever they want. If they want to buy body kits, put them on their dented CRX's and never get around to painting the entire car, that's fine. And if they want to drive that same car every day on shitty roads until the bumpers crack away and slowly disintegrate, that's fine too. If they want to get an insanely large spoiler or carbon fiber (not to mention that plastic faux carbon fiber) interior trim, they're free to do so. I just wish they knew how ridiculous it looks.

255

I think it's a great triumph of engineering and I love that it's so versatile. There are just tons of applications for it. You can go from having a carbon fiber hand brake to having the entire shell of your car made out of the stuff. It's worth the money, in my opinion, if you're using it for performance. It's really pricey stuff and if I were going to apply it to a car, it would be a track car that was heavily modified for track days, only. I wouldn't buy it just to turn a few heads. However, if I was a tuner, or if turning heads was part of my job description, I'd definitely use it in a show car. It wouldn't be over the top though, I'd keep it classy. I love how it looks unpainted, but I love how it looks painted, too. Just depends on how you want the car to look, in the end.

235

very much agreed...

235

or u could jus buy a koenigsegg and have your entire car completly made out of carbon fiber

45

The University of Kansas formula SAE team has some awesome carbon fiber on their car and in that application it is totally worth it. They have carbon fiber rims and wings on their new car and just aluminum rims on thier old car. They have too much funding, no realistic budgeting problems. If you just race for fun then carbon fiber is not for you.

15

Honestly, Im against it, although I do have a Carbon Fiber hood on my car, the main reason for this is, when I was looking for a hood that had a vent in it to keep under hood temps down a bit I was looking at new fiberglass hoods, then happened to come by the same hood in carbon fiber that was used and $200 less than the brand new fiberglass hood... eventually it will be painted, but as far as weight goes, it is ~20 lbs lighter than the stocker...

60

if u own a race car its stright. but if not, keep the clean look.