Full time 4WD

25

Asked by Sep 16, 2008 at 10:01 AM

Does all time 4wd vehicles consume more fuel than front wheel drive cars ?

65

most likely since it has to power 4 wheels rather than two. not to mention all the drivetrain to power all 4.

2,975

well not necessarily with that car the 2006 subaru impreza sti the motor compensates for the awd so it gets pretty good gas mileage because of it. So in most cases i would say not really maybe a few mpg less but not much, well thats if you do compare the same size motors as well.

105

^^ he's got it dead on. you'll get a little worse mpg due to the extra drivetrain losses... but you'll love driving it, esp. in the winter if it snows where you live. fulltime AWD is amazing. i wish my car had it.

2,975

^^ yes definitly fun in the winter i can testify for that haha i took my budies wrx out in the snow parking lot it ripped it around it was one of the most fun things you could to with a car.

As u already now it does. But new cars come with a clever system. Range rovers, hummers and foresters come with a new system that senses if 4wd is needed (i.e when it starts to rain and the roads get slippery) and then switches from 2wd to 4wd.