manual transmission

355

Asked by Sep 11, 2008 at 04:00 PM

Hello. I have some questions about manual transmission. well I heard that you can shift without the clutch without
grinding the gears but I don't know if thats true because one person will say one thing and someone says another.
Also if you downshift to slow down your vehicle could it wreck the transmission? and is it OK to skip shift at any
time? my questions may seem odd but I'm only 14 and I don't know much about transmissions. I know lots about
cars but not transmissions. Thank you for your time

600

Yes, it works if you get the engine RPM at the correct point to match the the output speed for the gear your going into. Is usally easier to down shift it like this; just pull it out of gear then very gentlely put pressure towards the next gear and wait for the tansmission to pull it in. That way your letting the output speed slow down to meet the speed of the engine. When upshifting( which is more difficult to do) the best way is to get it up to speed then pull it out, put gentle pressure on the next gear and wait for the engine speed to match the output speed. That is a bit smaller window to hit, that's why it's harder. None of which is reccomended shifting for any make/mode/tranny, it's just a neat trick/skill that people like to do.

355

Thank you very much for responding to my questions. your answers are very helpful to me.