dual note horns

455

Asked by Sep 07, 2008 at 01:14 PM

How do dual note horns work? what I am trying to ask is how does it make the sound when you depress the horn
pad? I also want to know if you can take a horn off any car and stick it on any car? sorry for all the questions.
why do some cars have the horn buttons/switches on the turn signal lever, or its a certain switch on the steering
wheel? thanks for all of your time. you guys are really cool. I know almost every make and model around the whole
world. if I need help figuring something out, I can come the experts. thank you so so very much.

8,545

Different dual tone horns work in different ways either they are two horns in one unit or they are designed such that they produce two distinctive tones... As far as useing any horn anywhere... well it might take some bracket fabrication and perhaps a voltage transformer to get from 6 to 12 and vice versa, but just about anything is possible... But will it be a plug and play type situation... likely not in most cases... Why do you ask, these are kinda odd questions?

455

the reason why I ask is because I don't know much about car parts. I only know makes and models of cars. thanks for responding to my questions. I know they sound a bit odd but I'm only 14. don't expect a 14 year old to know about horns and dual note horns. thanks very much.

8,545

Didn't expect you to, just that's normally not something people think about... To be honest though most cars with dual note, don't have a dual note unit they actually tend to have two horns a high note and a low note... It's cheaper to make 'em that way I think, plus if one goes out you still have a horn...

125

most modern cars all use 12v electric horns so a LOT of them are interchangable... esp. if its within the same make and close in years. the idea of the dual tone horn is to have a low note and a high note.. and they're setup so that when they make their respective sound it creates a harmonic making the horn SLIGHTLY more pleasant to hear and making it louder because of the harmonic.