faded paint

25

Asked by Sep 01, 2008 at 11:01 PM

whats a good way to restore a faded red paint job so that it lasts ie. won't fade again in the near future?

855

Good buff and polish will do wonders. Brought the paint on my escort right back up. and it was sitting in the sun for a few seasons. You could probably wax it after that, but I don't know about wax, never done it.

25

Thats pretty close to what I do now I just haven't really gotten at it with a power buffer yet. The problem, as I understand it, is that when you buff that deeply you actually take off the clear coat that's in place on top of your car's paint. That clear coat gives the paint alot of protection especially from fading so once you take it off supposedly you'd fade quicker. I suppose theres some thing out there like a clearcoat restorer(haven't seen one yet) or a paint shop that will actually re-clearcoat your car(probably expensive), unfortunately I don't know how to go about either of these possibilities. :(

855

I think that "Nu-Finish" stuff is supposed to be clear coat friendly, but don't quote me on that, I've never used the stuff... Try going to an exterior detailing shop and seeing what kind of products they use maybe? Might help

25

thx i'll definatley try to find a detailing shop.