Picking your next fun tinker toy

125

Asked by Aug 30, 2008 at 10:39 AM

What's the best value used sports car from the 70's 80's or 90's

145

i think a 90's NSX

8,315

Depends on your level of skill and patience... I'd say a 914 if you're good enough to weld on fender flares(9 inch wheel front 11's in the back) and frame reinforcements... Then do an SBC or Subby conversion with a 915 or 930 down the line... If you focus on getting weight down a bit then 2300 pounds isn't unreasonable for these cars... 2300pounds 400hp... 5.75 pounds per horsepower... Thats in the range of a Lamborghini... The LP640 gets about 5.734 pounds/hp... Granted you could do better but you'd need to spend more on a tranny... 400 hp is about all you should put behind a 915 or 930 and even then it's pushing it a bit... If you have the budget a new Mendola unit could handle considerably more or a performance built tranny....

125

Thanks...its interestign to me that the 2 or 3 responses so far are all mid-engine cars which are also my preference, I used to have a first generation MR2 that, while not 400hp, I absoluely loved to drive. The truth is, I"m a handling freak and not much of a speed deamon. SO your instincts on the 914 are dead on! I have been spotting 914's with the Chalon Body kit for years on ebay and other 914 enthusiasts sites. Plus Air cooled is certainly less complicated to Futz with in my eperience. Great advice, thanks.

125

I have had the pleasure of driving one...it was orgasmic. plus, like some of my other respondants you suggested mid enginand as a former MR2 owner...say no more, thanks. Ron

8,315

If you want to keep it air cooled but still have power and reliability... There is only one name you need to know... Jake Raby Have him build you a motor or buy one of his engine kits and put it together yourself... Plus you keep the weight down...