Front Wheel Drive

15

Asked by Aug 23, 2008 at 08:50 PM

Why do so many people by front wheel drive cars? They are garbage and totally ruin the driving experience. When they first started appearing in the 80's, they were seen as a glorified shopping trolley.  Then the silly yanks started making them and now the average person has no idea of what is a good car.   BMW recently came out with a brilliant add explaing how they now only make rear wheel drive cars beacuse they make a far better drive.  
Being a cheap buy is no excuse, beacuse the more people buy crap, the more the car manufacturers will make.

145

They might not be as fun to drive but unless you have a rear mounted motor they are more efficient.

305

lol silly... front wheel drives are relatively cheaper because of less materials necessary in the drive terrain thus weighing less thus taking less power to drive the car thus saving loads of fuel. but you're right and you're wrong with the driving experience. i love rear wheel drives because of the handling. I love to feel the oversteer they give you. but they absolutely suck in the snow and ice. but why i say ur wrong is you can build a front wheel drive to out handle a rear wheel drive in certain aspects. Like AutoX front wheel drives dominate in that area, and short twisty tracks. but there are quite a few FWD cars that are far from crap. I've seen honda's run 9's and faster, and i've seen Acura's and Nissan's dominate alot of other RWD pieces of shit at Road Atlanta and Willow Springs. But its all personal oppinion

4,425

better fuel economy, as Josh mention more interior and/or cargo space and rear legroom, no tunnel sticking up in the center and more trunk space, since the spare tire or fuel tank is not typically on top of the axle Don't get me wrong, there are things I hate about front wheel drive. It is the servicability that is mostly a pain Manufacturer however will find it easier to assemble cars since engine/transaxle and driveaxle and suspension are as one unit, in my opinion come servicability, I would end up cursing since I own a front wheel drive car.