Can I put 245/70/16 sized tires on this vehicle without changing wheel size?

Asked by Jun 03, 2008 at 01:23 AM

75

To try to explain the tire size you have given... 245 is the width in millimetres of your tyre. 245 mm is 24.5cm 70 is the sidewall depth or 'aspect profile' again in millimetres. 70 means that the sidewall of your tyre is 7cm from rim edge to running surface. 16 is the size in inches of your wheel. i don't know why they do this in inches and the rest in mm but they just do. The most important of these figures is the wheel diameter as if this is wrong the tyre simply wont fit the wheel being either too big or too small. Using the tyre calculator at http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp it seems that the standard tyre size for your pilot is 235/70/16 so basically all you are doing is making the tyre 10mm wider which i should think would be fine. if it was a larger increase you would have to look into a wider wheel to suit. Best thing to do would be to talk to your local tyre fitters but I'm sure a 245 would fit a 235 wheel without any problem and clearance of the wheel well should be ok.

14,745

Going from a P235/70R16 to a 275/70R16 is wider (although it should be fine) and taller (although your Pilot should be ok with the height difference as well). Not to mention the difference in your speedometer. Going to a "different than stock" tire size will ultimately force your speedometer to incorrectly read your speed due to the difference in overall tire diameter. The difference could be negligible, but it could also cost you a speeding ticket if your speed is ever taken into question by the police.

14,745

Sorry, I meant to say "P245/70R16". The same comments still apply.

65

I could be wrong, but I do not think the '70' is a measurement, moreso a percent. IE: (70% X 245 = 171.5) > (70% X 235 = 164.5). This means you are going 7MM taller, which will adjust your speedometer, and if you go too extreme, can mess with anti-lock brakes, as they are calculated to know the difference in speed from your tires to how fast the car is actually going. This small of a change should not effect much, but you if you go much wider, you would need a smaller profile. (IE: P255/65/16 would be 65% X 255 = 165)

20

why would an increase in width increase the diameter of the wheel - 245 vs 235, but both are 70R?

20

I have a Cadillac devel

20

225 tires 16 inch and I bought 245/70 tries would the 245 fit there 16 inches 2.