v8 vs 4bangers

55

Asked by May 29, 2008 at 07:45 PM

Let the debate begin!

i for one like both equally but if i had to have a dragger(no nos), i'd go with a 4banger just to say "you got smoked by a car with 4 less cylinders".

and german and italian v8 sounds better than domestic v8's :P

15

i just love the sound of a big block and that big lurch off the line when the front wheels wanna come off the ground and i find the noise from a 4 banger kind of annoying

175

the thing is if it has 4 less cylanders it probly has big combustion chambers soo u really dont het any thing. pluss they sound like wead wackers. nothing beats the sound of a domestic engine

185

You gotta do way more to 4 cylinders to get the same figures as a V8. It's just maths. Drag racing would require pretty much just straight horsepower. The thing is, to make a '4banger', as it were, go as good as a V8 it would have alot more work done, lower tolerances and therefore be more unreliable. There's no substitute for cubic inches, especially in straight lines. Which is exactly what Yank V8's are for.

205

Thats the strangest post ever..... one could argue both both sides to death. V8 are a little more reliable when pushed to the limits ..... on the other hand there are a few daily Driven cars in South Africa where I live that use a toyota 4AGE/ Mazda FE BMW M12 .....all 4 cyls that run between 8 and 10 second quarters ..... Go figure.

855

No replacement, for Displacement.

985

Theres no replacement for displacement... My favourite sound is a 440hemi cuda... mmmmmmmm tasty the world vibrates when people idle those things... I love the Vette lineup of v8s and absolutley love the ford modular engines... while a whailing sound of italian V8 as its wound up to 8krpm i just get put off by thier gutlessness... Torque... i love it... i currently drive a 260hp 400ftlbstq YEAH YEAH anyways yeah i just dont care for the mentality of many 4banger drivers who get the walmart cheapey fartbox muffler on them... you know what i mean...

130

Easy answer to this question. what do the pros use? V8 runs more efficiently( not gas efficient)

I want you to listen to this video. Just close your eyes, and try to determine whether this is domestic or foreign. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psBHCZEL-o4 Surprised?

7,505

It's an 8 cylinder and not exactly what imports are known for, but it still sounds raspy and airy IMO didn't really sound like an american v8 at all which tend to be deeper and throatier sounding. youtube zz572 and hear what a motor swap in a muscle car sounds like :-\

By no means am I a hardcore import guy. I've owned everthing from a 383/TH350 swapped '79 Firebird Formula to a MKIII Supra Turbo. The whole point of me posting that was to show that there ARE other options out there, and foreign /= 4-cylinder. If you REALLY want to see a cool example of a Nissan VH45 v8, watch this! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_cRQhW7nj8 I will agree that big displacement V8s are some of the sexiest sounding motors in the world!

7,505

I agree their are other options, but nothing sounds like a big block American V8 :-) Personally I love the Northstar V8's despite the fact they really aren't as grunty as other American V8's. Lightweight, reliable, and decent performance characteristics.

185

why don't we find middle ground here... A turbocharged inline six. XD

855

Can't we go totally overboard and go V16? :)

185

^I wish. But we talking about cars, not Fighter Jets. XD

855

Fighter Jets? Many cars came with V16 engines. Granted most of the ones I know tend to be earlier cars. Heck I'm pretty sure there's even V18 an V20 engines granted no one really builds them anymore.

855

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_automotive_superlatives here, I found this for you... only covers upto V16 but it has a few in there for you. I put it into a main post as well.

185

Mate antiques and concepts dont count! Besides, I was only making a crack about V16, noone needs to make them, its a useless idea to go over 10 cylinders anyway. Maybe a V16 truck....

855

ooooh... pal... no you didn't! Antiques count my friend ;) lol I don't care what a brand spankin' new Maserati can do... nothing beats the style and class of a classic!

205

I have an inline 6 turbo charged ,..... its a BMW ....Its angry ..... and it sounds freeking awesome.

205

The Buggatti Veyron is a W16 quad turbo ..... 2 V8 motors sharing a common crank. lots of cylinders make lots of sense ...depending on the application.

985

you didnt fool me i heard the importness in it...

985

the northstars made their own distinct american sound didnt they... ill always be melted inside by the 427 cobra jet engines in the early mustangs and espeically the application in the ACR cobras... oops just made a mess...

985

hell get that V24 cadilac made a few years back i like the ideas of two V12s bolted together... makes me happy inside..

985

im gonna get flack for this im sure... My favourite overall engine the modular ford V8s ... 4.6l in my stang is reliable, not terrible on gas, makes a noise that frightens small children, dogs and rabbits, and you have to go a long ways untill you hit the wall in its potential... I love the sound they make they have that oldschool grunt bit that tickels my happy bits and has that note in the higher revs that says hey im still technologically advanced enough to run with whatever flavour of turboed eco box on steroids happens to buzz this way... also i gotta say how many of you can say no to the sound of a Ford GT??? thats what i thought... thats the sound of god hunting everything with big chain guns...

185

Some of the best Ford engines in supercars: Saleen S7 Twin Turbo Noble M12, M15 and M400 Ford GT and GT90

275

actually.. they big 10 cylinders and up have more of a rumble to them, but dont get me wrong i love the chevy 350 and 454