Might buy a car soon...help me decide.

5

Asked by May 29, 2008 at 12:47 AM

Well I was looking for a manual, rear wheel drive/AWD car, price range of about 3-4 grand. I despise hatchbacks, FWD cars, automatic cars. Here's my list:

1st gen Miata
1st or 2nd gen MR-2 (doubt you can get a MR-2 turbo for under 4 grand)
Mark 3 Supra
Z32 300ZX
1991 240SX
5.0L V8 Mustang
5.0L V8 Camaro

Probably won't be tuning the car anytime soon. I am open to other suggestions too

10

which ever is the most fuel efficient

55

At least 2 of the cars in your list ive had the pleasures of owning the Supra is a great car but you will have to have deep pockets to realy make it the monter it is most capable of being.The other car is the 300zx (Z32) which curently own is a beautiful car,Very easy to make horspower like 400hp just by tuning the ECU,exhaust and an intake Check out "300zxclub.com" and Z1motorsports.com copy and paste this link good luck hope ive bin of some help http://www.300zxclub.com/showthread.php?t=123370

5

I don't care about fuel economy.

145

doubt your gonna find alot of the twin turbo 300zx's... the range is just above 4 grand for a decent clean one. i own a 1991 240 and honestly it handles like a beast with minor mods. power lacks, but motor swaps are getting pretty cheap. the miata or mr-2 would pretty sweet too. always wanted those.

145

oh and forgot to mention, i got my 240 for 1600 bucks bone stock and perfect exterior condition. strong motor with ~ 150k miles.

55

My boy got a 96 240 with an SR20DET in it pretty fast car looks great too,BTW I bought my Z32 for $3500 I have the 2+2 its an Automatic,Il be doing the conversion soon the JDM twin turbo motor goes for $1600 with tranny, ECU and Harness

70

3-4 grand is pretty open to most cars, just depends on condition and etc... i dont think you will be able to find a decent z32 for that price, you can find E30 chassis bmw's for that price, plenty of z31's, DSM's. Why the hell would you want a 3rd gen 5.0 (305c.i. junk) camaro? You can get 4th gen LT1 cars (5.7L) for that price easy. Probably the fastest car you can buy in stock form for that price in my opinion.

15

mustang or 240sx should be da bomb

55

s13, s14 240sx and miata sounds good. vw mk2 gti if i were you i'd get a s13 or s14 240sx in a heart beat. especially if you find one with sr20, that'll be hard for 4g though.

55

Ive seen alot of s14's in my erea for sale i know someone as of this momnt who has a kouki sellin for 4k with the JDM swap and a ton of goodies in it

55

i'd seroiusly look into that. not a hard car to work on, alot of parts available for it also.

55

Here is is a nice one http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/car/697362863.html

55

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/car/697362863.html

55

do you want an automatic? i dont know if you'll be using it as a commuter or weekend warrior or just a cool daily driver. automatic or manual, its your choice (just more money if you want to convert to manual later) if you want it sporty, go with manual. if you dont want to convert to manual down the road, you can get manual transmission at junk yards like venus-auto.com or something alike around your area. i've never actually done a conversion myself but i know people that has on multiple cars. if you'd like to do it yourself, i would as a learning car but definitly with a buddy that knows what to do or have someone do it for you, i'd say all around you'll be looking at atleast 2g just for manual conversion. http://venus-auto.com/inventory/nissan/s14/s14%20motor/sr20t-fc-main.htm motor+tranny(sr20det) go around 3-5g and maybe another grand or so for install fee. but as for when looking at the car, i'd say most important thing would be clean body, meaning no dings if possible, no bents/dents and even look under the car, the engine bay, make sure the frame is straight, no accidents. faded/oxidated paint is up to you if you want to repaint your car but no rust. this way you could invest your money on performance parts/looks instead of body work. as for interior, being that it is a fairly old car, you might get lucky at junk yards for clean dash, seats, etc. or even on craigslist for very cheap. so balance out how good of a car is in and out, see what you'll need to do to it for your liking and decide your choice then.

30

the v8 camaro but swap that garbage 5.0L 305 for a 327 or 350 LT1 :)

55

I dont think he's looking at this but my boy bought his s14 as an Auto with the Ka24de powerplant now its swapped the is pretty quick.As for my Z32 i got it as an auto and soon il be doing the conversion the motor and tranny gos for $1600 not a ba deal and the the brake and clutch pedals and the manual set up goes for $400,Not a bad deal as for that Gaymaro coment American cars are only good in a straight line.....Thats what you call a car??

225

I HAVE A MUSTANG IF YOUR INTRESTED NEEDS SOME WORKBUT RUNS GOOD AND DRIVES GOOD FEW THINGS DONE TO MOTOR BUT I WOULD GO WITH CAMARO PERSONALLY THATS WHAT MY OTHER CAR IS AND IT ISNT 305 (5.0L) IT IS 350 (5.7L) WITH STANDARD TRANNY AND TTOPS

225

WELL ATCUALLY YOU COULD TAKE A MUSTANG MOTOR AND PUT IT IN A RX7 LIKE AN 88 THEN YOU WOULD HAVE THE POWER EVEN MORE THEN THE MUSTANG ANDTHE SIZE OF THE IMPORTS FOR THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS JUST AN IDEA FOR YEA

225

3RD GEN LOOK BETTER

5

you say that you despise hatchbacks, but you would want a 5.0 . your options are realy limited to when it comes to the 5.0. 93 was the last year for the fox body witch is a hatch. HP wise, a 93 or 94 would be good. they changed the body style to the round body in 94. 95 was alright, but 96 will be your slowest. Gas wise, def not gonna be good w/ a 5.0, but for us who have them, we did'nt bye them for the gas milage. be ready to put money into it if it breaks, and they leak oil like it was cool. but over all a very stout motor, fun to.

5

93 mustang gt 5.o, 5spd

5

I said I hate hatchbacks, not liftbacks. Liftback != hatchbacks.

55

Vtec is good for ricer's you could keep em,Ive had 2 Hondas i never kept passed 6 months,I eat hondas for fun with my 92 NIssan NX2000 equiped with an SR20DE (Original motor not swapped)

235

i was clarly kidding.. but you seem a bit full of yourself

55

You go on any forum and say somthing like that and see what responce your gonna get.I had alot of ppl esp Honda guys make fun of me when i was coming up in the game.As soon as i got my hands on my nissans and whipped alot of them i stopped hearing jokes,Nit full of myself i have proved my self in many battles so i do have the right to stand firm.

35

I would go with the Mustang or the Camaro but that is just personal preference.

125

5.0 camaro man i have one and its good on gas and gets up and goes when you want it to... and those 3rd gens are goin up in value also