Synthetic Oil or Conventional Oil

875

Asked by Jan 16, 2010 at 10:20 PM about the Hyundai Sonata

Does anybody else use synthetic oil in there car?

i dont for 2 reasons: not cheap and once you go syn, you cant go back.

135

always for my 09 Sonata Limited, Castrol Synthetic....

305

I don't because it's more expensive, and, driving about 15k miles a year, you may only get two or three oil changes. It's nice to get it changed every 3k in case there is something wrong you haven't noticed so it can be fixed before it becomes a major issue.

875

Did you know Hyundai recommends 3,000 mile severe driving and 7,500 for normal driving?

875

http://www.facebook.com/kraig.cutler?ref=profile#/pages/HIGH-MILEAGE/229555727449?v=info&ref=mf

305

Most people drive severe. Stop and go driving around town is severe (and they recommend 3750 for severe).

875

you can go back but why would you?

875

in the long run its cheaper! Using conventional oil is bad in the long run!

875

AMSOIL is not expensive because unlike other synthetic oil, AMSOIL covers with warranty that if damaged is caused by using AMSOIl for long intervals will replace your engine, and with 37 years experence never happened

kraig, amsoil engine oil is $10 a quart. if i were use that oil every 3000 miles, it would cost me $60-$70 per shot. things are really tite. regular oil is fine. by the way, repair shops say 3000 while dealers say 7500.

875

Every oil company except AMSOIL recommend follow the OEM recommendations, AMSOIL warranty covers 25,000 mile or one year oil change and BEYOND with umber one WARRANTY in the USA on oil

875

You dont change the oil every 3000 miles with AMSOIL!! Thats the point, 25,000 mile or once a year!!

look at the big picture for a sec. all engines old and new, 0 miles and 500000 miles burn oil. its the nature of the beast. oil turns brown at about 2500 miles synthetic or not. have you heard the saying "outta site outta mind"? thats the case here with a once a year oilchange. what if has a leak. right now my eagle has a leak at the rear main. if i used your oil in it the engine would blow before 25k. my dakota has 80k with regular oil. if i change over now i risk rebuilding the engine. your oil maybe great, my truck is great the way it is. dont push synthetic oil. regardless of what oil i use i change it at 3k.

875

That is 100% false!!

im in the real world. youre in the sales world.

875

First you dont know what your talking about! Conventional oil last 1500 to 3000 miles synthetic mix last about 7500 to 15000 miles full synthetic last 17000 to 400,000 miles

875

I see you havent done your research so i wont argue with you

im not your average joe. i find out what it really does, not what you say it does. once an engine is set on one type you not change it. in my case this oil would wipe the bearing surfaces clear off. my truck isnt setup for it. thats why they say you can change over within 25k miles from 0 miles. im not sayin your oil is crap, youre telling everybody at a sales point of view. by the i work for a wholesaler.dont push the sales point of view.

that does not prove a thing. your weaklink is gaskets, seals, and bearings. you need these parts treated for it to work.

875

I am sorry but i been using it seen I was young and not sale person full time i am military and I know it works! I cant convience you, I know that, Company uses facts with testing and man came up with it was a PILOT. He saw benefits in jets and if you know anything about aircraft maintenance its not very often. Commercial Airlines dont get oil change very often. I will send you link to check out if you want to learn more. I looked into what other oil companies say and they dont want to go past 3,000 miles. Truck, Cars, and planes arent that much different. Even people that know other people know that AMSOIL works wont buy it which is fne, thats there opinion. I just want people to know I knw it works and thats all I can say!

875

Check this out this will answer all your questions http://www.facebook.com/kraig.cutler?ref=profile#/pages/HIGH-MILEAGE/229555727449?v=info&ref=mf

military vehicles are setup for it. non military is hit or miss. look at both sides of the oil. the last i want to is to end up with a bad engine and another bill. remember this "never under estimate anybody" .

875

I am glad somebody here sees the benefits of synthetic oil!

875

Worry about DAMAGING your engine AMSOIL covers that!! https://www.amsoil.com/lit/g1363.pdf

875

Hyundai recommends 3,000 mile for severe driving but do you use oil certified by SAE and API?

875

No other oils shows what you should drive for SEVERE or NORMAL except for AMSOIL if your using any other oil I feel sorry for Y'ALL

875

It is a proven fact if you do change your oil just using conventional oil you lose power and performance with time, Synthetic oil is the only way to go, to keep car running like NEW!!

nope. replacing every engine bearing with sealed roller bearings is the way to go. therefor less friction, gas, oil, repairs, more performance.

875

Sorry I never heard of that before!!

somebody before my time at some carcompany tried it and got 1000 horse from a v8. it sounds unheard of but its true.

875

cool!!

the only thing that theyre doing thats even close to that is floating pistons.by the way im only 34 years old.theres a lot out that they dont want people to know.

10

First of all we need to understand the meaning of severe service, not just opinions of what it means. The Hyundai Maintenance Book describes two things that were stated here as severe which are misunderstood. 1. Repeatedly driving short distances does not mean driving 2 miles to work and parking your car for the day. It means driving a few miles, stopping and then continuing a few more. Example: a pizza delivery man. A parts delivery man, etc. 2. Stop and go traffic. Most people drive to work and park for the day. Yes, you will encounter a light or two and a stop sign. That is NOT severe driving. A salesperson driving in town from appointment to appointment is an example of frequently driving in stop and go traffic. Most drivers are not subjected to severe driving conditions.

10

that is not true u can can switch back and 4th

10

that is not true u can switch back and 4th

95

I like AMSOIL for a couple reasons, but I wouldn't waste money on this unless you're really anal about keeping your car for ever and ever. Realistically, to see the real benefit of AMSOIL you would ideally need to use it throughout the life of the vehicle. If you bought your vehicle used, there is a good chance the previous owners used low quality oil and the depoists will be stuck in your engine until it is rebuilt. There is one catch to the 25000 miles, you must change the oil filter at 3000-5000 miles. The filter holds 1/4 to 1/2 quart of oil that you have to dump, so you will need to buy one or two extra quarts for the filter change. I would highly suggest getting a good quality oil filter to keep the oil as clean as possible. Comparing cost to value with AMSOIL and other quality oils is subject to your personal preference. You will probably spend a few bucks more for the AMSOIL overall. Is the few bucks invested worth it? Probably not. You will probably see similar results with a decent quality oil.

95

It depends on your preferences as you can see with the many posts in this forum. Synthetic has some advantages and disadvantages. If you live in a cold climate, I would lean more towards the synthetic because its viscosity doesnt change as much as regular oil at low temperatures. You will notice your engine starts a little better in the cold with synthetic. Engine warmup is the stage where the engine components wear the most, especially at very cold temperatures. If you vehicle is older, the seals in your engine may be more prone to leakage if you switch to synthetic. You can probably drive the vehicle longer between oil changes with synthetic. Synthetic usually has a higher flash point, so its less likely to burn or chemically break down. I would change a synthetic every 5000-7000 miles if your engine is fairly clean. If your engine is older or has a lot of sludge, I would change it at 3000-4000 miles. Financially, you need to weigh the added cost against how long you expect to drive the vehicle. I would say realistically, your vehicle is far more likely to shell a transmission or have major electrical problems before the engine completely wears out. Most people get rid of thier cars when this happens, so you probably wont see the benefit of extending the life of the motor to 300000 - 400000 miles.

95

For the vehicles that I dont plan on keeping my lifetime, I use regular oil. For the vehicles that I plan on keeping forever, I like to use Castrol Synthetic with Lucasoil oil stabilizer.

95

jml12345 and Kraig both have good points. Old vehicle + Synthetic = potential for leaks AMSOIL's warranty for 25000 is backed by a written guarantee--no other oil does that because they know they can't back it up. Try proving that the oil caused your engine to fail...kinda hard but not impossible; how much do you want to pay a lawyer? Will Synthetic prolong the life of your engine?...probably* *If your vehicle is maintained properly. *How much?...its hard to say....engine oil alone wont cause your camshaft to wear out...this is just something that happens. there are too many variables that contribute to this.

215

There have been a jillion articles written about synthetic vs. dino oils. Synthetic is so superior that you cannot even compare the two. There was a fellow named 'Smokey' Yunick who was called the father of NASCAR. He could stretch ever last horsepower out of an engine and he was very inventive. Chevrolet would make him anything he wanted without even knowing what it was. In the late '60's, early '70's he was using synthetic oil when you and I hadn't even heard of it. I buy used Town Cars. I try to find them with under 50K on them. I begin using synthetic oil immediately, change it every 10,000 to 12,000 miles, keep the car till about 200,000 to 210,000 miles, and never use one drop of oil. If you don't change your own oil, I would have it changed at a facility where you can see what they are putting in your engine. We live in a world full of liars and cheats and you have no clue as to what is in that bulk storage tank.

215

Years ago, cars had open crank cases, ( no PCV ), carburetors, straight weight oils, and non-detergent oils. It was improtant to change the oil every 3,000 miles. Carburetors are rarely dead on with the air/fuel mixture and those over-rich moments cause cylinder wash which gets past the rings and into the oil. Today's engines have closed crank case systems ( no dirty air ingested from the atmosphere ), and fuel injection. Fuel injection adjusts the fuel mixture 100's of times a minute and is almost always spot on (no cylinder wash). Changing oil every 3000 is a complete waste of money. It is marketing hype from the oil companies. Motor oil quality and technology has made quantum leaps to get to where it is today. Do some reading. Understand what motor oil is supposed to do and how it does it.

215

"Synthetic oil is not cheap"??????????? So you want to use $2.50 a quart oil in your $10,000 motor???????????? You can't mix synthetic and dino oil? What do you think "semi-synthetic" is? Educate yourself and stop listening to those unqualified opinions.

10

I have used conventional oil in my 4 runner since new. I change it every 3 to 4000 miles and I now have 400,000 miles on it. The only work that I've had to do to the engine over its life is change the belts and 1 fuel injector. And by the way I still get better fuel mileage and have slightly higher compression in all cylinders than the manual says I should get. This is on a 96' 4 cylinder engine.